1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Biddeford (Me.) Journal Tribune.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Sep 6, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

From jjobs.com:

Company: Journal Tribune
    Position:
    Award-winning newspaper seeks sports
    reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires:
    October 11, 2007
    Job ID: 824988

Description:
    The Journal Tribune, Maine's Daily Newspaper of the Year, seeks a sports reporter for our fast-paced newsroom. Candidates should have a four-year degree in Journalism or English, and related experience. Reliable transportation a must, as is photographic skills. We are seeking someone who is as passionate about local high school, college and professional sports as we are. Being versed in everything from field hockey to professional baseball a bonus. New England candidates preferred. Candidates should submit cover letter and resume to: Drew McMullin, Managing Editor at dmcmullin@gwi.net or Journal Tribune P.O. Box 627 Biddeford, Maine 04005 No calls, please.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Just vacationed across the Saco River at Camp Ellis last week, and there's a lot to love about the area. (Long Beach at York and Fishermen's Catch in Wells, for starters). Just not sure how far that money will go, though.

3. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Has been a three-man sports shop (plus occasional stringer help) for a long time, but the guys remaining do a fine, thorough job...esp. with high schools....two biggest coverage schools are ancient rivals Biddeford and Thornton Academy....the Twin Cities are consumed by the annual end of grid season "Battle of the Bridge"...the rest of the world doesn't exist, then...the money won't blow you over, but you will get to write...a lot....

4. I know a bit about this paper (I worked there) so if you want some info, PM me.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

... especially in the most heavily taxed state in the union.

6. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I hadn't noticed....by the way, make that TWO openings, now, on the three man staff...

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Is that really true?

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

At least it's cheaper than living in Portsmouth or anywhere else in New Hampster, which is just ridiculous nowadays..

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Actually, turns out I was wrong. Vermont (14.1 percent tax burden) eked past Maine (14 percent). New Hamspshire is among the lowest.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/22321.html

10. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

is this really one of two openings? seems like a mass exodus if so

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Two men down in a 3-man department? Yikes. It seems as if this place always has an opening, for whatever reason.

12. I don't think that's true. The new SE has been there as a reporter for many years. And the reporter/SE that recently left had been there for a while as well. It's been the third slot they've had problem filling. Several people have tried, but just either didn't have what it takes or found other positions elsewhere. I don't think there's any more turnover than any other smallish paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted