1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Athens, AL.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diego Marquez, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Company: The News Courier
    Position: Seeking sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: March 3, 2007
    Job ID: 731092

Description:
    The News Courier, a six-day-a-week newspaper located in the Tennesee Valley of North Alabama, is looking for a sports editor. Athens is home of the reigning Alabama State Class 5A football champions, NFL QB Philip Rivers and Alabama basketball star Richard Hendrix. In addition to one of the state's top sports programs at Athens High School, our coverage area includes six county schools and two private schools, all of which have outstanding athletic teams. Experience in sports reporting is welcome, but new college graduates will be considered. Pagination skills are a plus. Call Sonny Turner at (256) 232-2720 or e-mail sonny@athensnews-courier.com to apply.

2. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Is this listing for a sports writer, as the title says, or for a sports editor, as it says in the description?

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

it's basically a one-man show, with some help in the fall. decent place for a newbie out of j-school. prep teams range from good to awful. pay likely is mid-20s.

4. Athens, nice place. Has a Starbucks over by the interstate. In a pretty good area with Huntsville and Decatur nearby. What happened to the last guy? He wasn't there too long. Basically, you've got one city high school that dominates coverage but five or six county high schools that need pub, too. Prep hoops is bigger in that area than you'd think for football-crazy Alabama.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And the best basketball player from the area (now in college) is softer than the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Channeling Ghostbusters in 3 ... 2... 1 ....

7. ZING!

8. John

John Well-Known Member

He's still young. Plus, he fits in with his team that way.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

he's not that soft.
    last guy moved on to the sister paper in Cullman. it has been a revolving door the past few years, though.

10. InDaBoonies

InDaBoonies New Member

Good job for someone trying to get their feet wet, but that's about it. It's a tough, time-consuming job. Trust me, I'm the person who held the position last. But overall, The News Courier's what you make of it. The managing editor let me have total control of all sports content, while allowing me to use stringers when needed. But at the same time, the publisher doesn't view sports as an important part of her publication. When she needed to cut expenses, sports always took the biggest hit.

For example, midway through football season she cut my section down to two pages – actually 1 2/3 after ads – on Saturday. Wouldn't have been that bad, but we had a Class 5A No. 1 vs. No. 2 matchup – Athens and Russellville – and a Class 2A No. 3 vs. No. 4 matchup – Addison vs. Tanner. In order to get both of these games, along with the other five being played, I had to cut the agate page. Oh well, my rants over.

And for the person who wanted to know what happened to me, I left for Cullman in December.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Something I never thought I'd read on this board from anyone -- ever...

12. HEST

HEST New Member

Sta-puft went for 22 and 10 last night, but what the hell, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted