1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Ashland Times-Gazette (Ashland, OH)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=429924

Covering high school, youth and community sports are our bread-and-butter, and our new sports editor wants to take our coverage of the total sports scene to new levels. The Ashland Times-Gazette is looking for a full-time sports writer who has the enthusiasm, knowledge and energy to help accomplish that goal. Our coverage area includes nine high schools and Ashland University, a NCAA Division II school. The Times-Gazette is a 12,000-circulation, six-day A.M. and is consistently recognized as one of the best newspapers of its size in Ohio. Ashland, a county seat and college town, is located in North Central Ohio, with both Cleveland and Columbus just a little more than an hour away. We are seeking applicants with previous professional experience or at least one good internship during college. The application deadline is Aug. 18, with the interview process beginning immediately. Send 6-8 samples of your work to Ted Daniels, Editor, Ashland Times-Gazette, 40 E. Second St, Ashland, OH 44805, or tdaniels@times- gazette.com.

2. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Probably because candidates have an aversion to working for nickels.

4. what is the reason for the job opening up every few months?

5. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

From what I'm told, they hired a new guy, and one of the other staffers is following his wife to Columbus. She got a better job, and he'll try to find a job when he gets there.
    So this is really unrelated to the previous opening.

6. Is Ashland a nice place to live and raise a family?

7. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

I wouldn't go that far. It's a cheap place to live, though.
    Good thing, because my guess is this job will go off at $20K.

8. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

If Ohio were a human body, you would stick the enema in Ashland. I wouldn't move there with a gun to my head, especially to cover Little League bullshit.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ashland sucks ginormous donkey balls. It's Terre Haute without the ghostly legends, Butte without the cool Irish bars, Wyoming without the cowboys.

10. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I live less than an hour from Ashland, and I said the same thing the last time a job was posted here, but I have no idea what people have against Ashland. I've only been there about five times over the past five or so years, but it seemed like a typical small town. Like any small town, I doubt there is much to do, which sort of sucks, but Mansfield is just 20 minutes down the road. It's got more to do.

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

And we all know what a rockin' place Mansfield, Ohio is ...

12. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Not everyone can start out in a "rockin'" metropolitan city. It's not a bad place to be for a short while. Mansfield has a 14-screen movie theatre and a 10-screen theatre with older cheap movies. For those who enjoy it, there is a fairly major racetrack in Mansfield. It has all of the typical chain restaurants and department stores any person would want. It has a lot more to offer than most places in the area. The land around there begins to get pretty hilly and there is a nice place to ski and some nice outdoor spots. For a lot of people, it would be boring. It just depends where you grow up and what your idea of fun is. But regardless, there are a lot worse places in Ohio and the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted