1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, AP -- Lexington

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Aug 8, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1275850

The Associated Press seeks an experienced sports reporter to cover Kentucky from its bureau in Lexington, Ky.
    The successful candidate will take over and build beats covering the college sports, including the high-profile programs at University of Kentucky, Louisville and Western Kentucky horse racing, and motor sports, among other duties. This reporter will have a proven track record of building reliable sources, breaking news, writing accurate and compelling game copy on deadline, and delivering smart enterprise that shows ownership of a beat, team or sport.

We want someone who sets the agenda for the top sports news in Kentucky and gets the scoops for the AP's global audience. This is a position that requires speed without sacrificing quality, excellent planning skills and the ability to juggle. While the position is text-based, we want someone aware of the growing demand for content in multiple formats (photos, video, audio) and can work with his or her colleagues to deliver it. We prefer someone comfortable with using social media tools. Experience in reporting on professional teams will be considered a plus.

JOB REQUIREMENTS: Candidates should have demonstrated excellence as a beat reporter, and have a proven record of developing sources, breaking news, originating story ideas and writing on deadline in a clear and engaging way. Applicants should understand the growing importance of multimedia news and be able to coordinate with AP staffers from other formats. The successful candidates should have at least five years of full-time reporting experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station or AP bureau.

Other qualifications:
    * Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
    * Ability to recognize and develop newsworthy stories of global interest and work accurately under deadline pressure
    * Strong organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines
    * A willingness to work nights and weekends, and to travel to various sports assignments.

Authorization to work in the U.S. is mandatory as is advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language.

The Associated Press is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.

To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar:
    http://ap.contacthr.com/20794834

2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I presume this comes from Graves moving to Pittsburgh. Whatever happened to Jeffrey McMurray -- I remember him as a news/secondary sports writer in Kentucky. I think I may've seen his byline on a Chicago story recently.

3. Jeff Winger

Jeff Winger New Member

McMurray has been in Chicago for about a year now. Editing at some level.

This was Will Graves' job until he took the job in Pittsburgh. He was based in Louisville and when it opened, AP decided to base the next hire out of Lexington.

4. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Beth Rucker bylined the Murray State-Louisville football preview today.

Don't know if she is helping out from Tennessee or if she is moving to Kentucky, but thought that was an interesting byline.

5. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

She also wrote the story on Bruce Pearl's new job in Knoxville yesterday, though, so I'd bet on helping out from Tennessee.

6. Per Rucker's Twitter bio: AP sports writer covering Tennessee Vols football and basketball and Lady Vols basketball. Temporarily covering Kentucky sports.

https://twitter.com/#!/bethrucker

7. Jeff Winger

Jeff Winger New Member

I've heard they may have their man. Colin Fly from AP Milwaukee. I don't know that for certain, though. Anybody know anything else on this?

8. SellOut

SellOut Member

Pretty sure that'd be news to everybody, including Colin and the AP.

9. Jeff Winger

Jeff Winger New Member

Well then.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Colin is from Tennessee. Don't know if he's holding out on getting all the way back to his home state or if he would do that incrementally and be happy being closer.

Also a factor: He married a woman from Milwaukee (and bought a house), so moving to Kentucky may take him closer to Tennessee but away from the wife's family (is that good or bad?).

11. Jeff Winger

Jeff Winger New Member

Colin Fly put it on Twitter today that he's accepted the job and his last day in Milwaukee is Oct. 31. He'll be in Lexington immediately thereafter.

12. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Is it safe to assume we should keep our eyes peeled for a Miltown opening soon?

Draft saved Draft deleted