1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer and desk jobs - The Maui News, Hawaii

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bc31, Nov 5, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Looks like AP, per their website.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Heavy preps (seven bigger schools on the island, plus schools on Molokai and Lanai) and lifestyle sports, especially canoe racing. It's the state sport, after all.

Travel budget is likely very limited ... even just a one-day up and back to Honolulu will run you $300 or so. They'll travel for state tournaments, but probably not UH. Maybe you'd get lucky and get a trip up if a Maui kid went to UH and did well.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you could ask for mileage

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ferry?

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/fares/default.html

... although I see that it's not particularly popular with people on Maui ...

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

$60 airfare (Kahului-Honolulu) each way and a couple taxi rides vs. a $65 vehicle fare and $50 (average) each way per passenger ... sounds like a push to me.

6. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

Was in Maui for eight days earlier this year, and the place is everything you think it is. Fabulous. As for the paper .... it's every bit a 20k. Sports was very, very thin. During my entire stay there, I think I could count the number of bylined stories on one hand. Very select wire (no NASCAR at all, for instance) likely due to space. Heavy on canoe racing, triathlon, surfing, etc. Many of those stories were of the "staff report" type.

Though I do expect the job has its perks. Knee-deep in the Maui Invitational and the PGA events at Kapalua, for starters.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I was there for my honeymoon last year during the Maui Invitational (actually shared an elevator with about half the Marquette team at the hotel). They do indeed blow it out when it comes to that tournament.

Oh, man, if only I wasn't so tied to VA...

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how many nascar-lovin' rednecks do you think live on maui?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Maui is a great island. Key word there is island.

I spent six days there, and after four days, you were running out of new places to go.

Just sayin'.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I believe I recall having read here at some point that while it's easy enough to get hired IN Hawaii, it's rather difficult to get hired OUT of Hawaii. As in, when you're 3,000 miles away from the West Coast, good luck getting flown in for an interview.

Then again, that assumes one would want to leave.

11. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

More than you might think. The place does have an NHRA-sanctioned dragstrip. I wrote a column when I got back about looking for signs of NASCAR in Hawaii, and was bombarded by emails from former sailors and servicemen who stayed in the islands, and gather to watch races in the early mornings their time. So let's not paint with such a wide, sanctimonious brush.

Oh, and by the way, one paragraph about the Coca-Cola 600 in a roundup is not too much to ask.

And shotglass' point is correct. By the end of our stay, we had covered the whole place. I know a guy who worked at a hotel on Lanai' for a year, and was more than ready to leave when his contract was up. Island fever is a real thing.

But damn, it's amazing there. Watching the bumpers for the Maui Invitational makes me want to go back.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Some of US were writing much more than one paragraph while some of YOU were off on honeymoons. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted