1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer and desk jobs - The Maui News, Hawaii

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bc31, Nov 5, 2008.

1. bc31

bc31 Guest

From jjobs:

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=387033

Company: The Maui News
    Position: Sports Positions
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: December 10, 2008
    Job ID: 387033

Description:
    The Maui News has two openings in its sports department — one that will require primarily desk work, and one that will be mainly a writing job. Both positions will involve some time in each role. The writing-first job is for a journalist who produces clean, accurate copy on deadline, looks for feature ideas and is eager to become a significant part of the local sports scene, but also is ready to put that same kind of energy into editing and pagination when that’s needed. We want someone who is ready for a wide range of stories — our coverage includes preps, professional and amateur ocean sports, plenty of other outdoor activities, golf galore and a major men’s college basketball tournament. The desk-first job is for someone who puts real thought into layout and presentation, and also takes the AP Stylebook seriously. We’re seeking an applicant who checks facts and keeps an eye out for typos, and who knows that a mistake on even the most well-designed page makes a paper look silly. We want someone who respects the writer’s voice, but isn’t afraid to discuss ways to punch up a story. Some deadline writing and the occasional feature are going to be a must as well. For both jobs, we want someone ready to pitch in with the other stuff, too. Everyone on our five-person staff handles phoned-in game results and types in agate and briefs at times, and is available for night, weekend and holiday shifts. The Maui News is a morning paper published seven days a week. To apply, send a letter and resume, as well as writing and design samples, to Brad Sherman, sports editor, The Maui News, 100 Mahalani St., Wailuku, HI 96793; or by e-mail to sports@mauinews.com. No phone calls please.

2. garethkeenan

garethkeenan New Member

Re: Sports writer and desk job - The Maui News, Hawaii

ballpark for this? is it gonna be a liveable wage for the islands?

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It's an Ogden paper, and it's Maui, so it could be dicey.

Good folks over there ... wonder who left.

4. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

This would be a dream job, for the person who could afford it. Maui is one of the greatest places on earth

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OK, I've posted about this before, so I'm pretty sure Brad will be OK with it.

I was offered this job last year before my friend took it. The pay is good. You won't live like a king, but if you shop at the grocery store and not the gas station, milk isn't $7 a gallon. My friend lived with her son and her sister, supporting all three, and rented a house a block from the beach on this salary.

She covered a lot of really cool things, took a lot of GREAT photos, and thoroughly loved it. She has since left (though it was well before these openings came open) because she wanted her son to grow up by her family. But she raved about it.

Brad, in my dealings with him, has been nothing but up-front, honest, and unfailingly kind. He offered to help me with anything I might need before making the move. However, my credit was zilch and I had no savings, so moving over there was a no-go. They will not, or did not as of a year ago, pay relocation, but I think there is a bonus after a certain amount of time.

My friend put everything in storage and went. It's a good paper, good people, and it is GORGEOUS there, judging by my friend's photos.

I'd give it a huge thumbs up, though admittedly I know nothing of Ogden. But I'm sure Brad would answer any questions, and do so happily.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not trying to be a smart ass, but are they looking for a woman?

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

When I was there a year and a half ago, they ran a daily breakout on how Shane Victorino did that day. Pretty cool. Must have been a fun World Series for them.
    I have been to Maui a bunch of times. The last time I went in summer, the section was pretty slim. I felt I could produce it by myself in about three hours. The only local was a standalone photo on some guy swinging a bat in a rec league softball game. No ID or result in the cutline. The rest was wire. Nothing staff written but, again, it was summer and high school football hadn't started yet.
    Would I work there? Might be a dream job, considering the locale. But then you wake up.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

And after you wake up, you go snorkeling by Black Rock. Might not be a bad tradeoff.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lord.
    Lord.
    Lord.
    Kids grown? Empty nester?
    Lord.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pssst... lest I burst your bubble, Mr. Griswold, at the heart of it, it's still Ogden.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I got that.
    It's also Maui.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's also a Guild paper, which means you aren't gonna go into poverty.

And from what I hear, Ol' Men Nutting are hands off, even moreso than most of their properties.

Draft saved Draft deleted