1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer – London

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sports Wk, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Sports Wk

Sports Wk New Member

New digital sports magazine Sports Wk is looking for a writer to join their team in London.

Sports Wk launched in August and is published every Thursday on tablet devices. Billed as the sports version of The Week, Sports Wk crafts concise and informative news stories on football, rugby, cricket, golf, motorsport, horse racing and others using the best quotes and references from a variety of mediums.

Sports Wk also contains a weekly feature with a sportsperson and have so far published exclusive interviews with Gianfranco Zola, Jenson Button, Dereck Chisora and Gemma Gibbons. Boyd Rankin, Tom Carroll, Frankie Gavin, Chris Woakes and Ledley King have also featured in our weekly 'My Career' page,

Sports Wk are looking for a a resourceful and motivated individual who can write across a range of sports to a strict deadline. This vacancy would suit a recent graduate or a freelance writer.

Candidates are required to submit a story of 500 words using the method employed by Sports Wk. The magazine can be downloaded as part of a free trial to an iPad or Android tablet from http://bit.ly/16oiIVD.

Please email the writing example and your current CV to feedback@sportswk.co.uk

We look forward to hearing from you.

Closing date 31st October 2013

2. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

Is there a salary attached to this position? I'm hoping that joining a London team doesn't entail low, freelance pay.

3. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Which London? UK? Canada? USA? etc?

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't worry ... Lake Tahoe is a mere 15 minutes away.

5. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

email addy might provide a clue...

feedback@sportswk.co.uk

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wonder what sort of legal hoops a non-British citizen might have to jump through.

7. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

No passports or work permits necessary on the Internet, Holmes.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you'd probably have to live in the UK to produce stories that would appeal to British readers, and that would entail a passport and some type of work visa, I would think.

9. jtc

jtc New Member

Well, at least it's a great time to get a U.S. passport renewed!! Oh, wait...

10. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Did you not read the job description? This "journalism" job involves copying the work of others -- quotes, stats, narratives -- found on the Internet and pasting it all together as a story.

11. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

Where are you seeing that job description? All it says above is a writer to join their team in London.

12. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

First, get me a beer Noobs.
    Then try reading the part that says "using the best quotes and references from a variety of mediums."
    Finally, if you STILL don't get it, visit the Web site where it states: "Sports Wk crafts the best stories by referencing quotes from main stream media sources as well as key social media platforms blogs and forums."

Draft saved Draft deleted