1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Web Producer Wanted -- The Palm Beach Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hoop Time, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Apply.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Put it this way, texas (and welcome to the site): you're not alone in coming up short in your job searches, and you're likely not alone in badly wanting this one. Don't expect a nugget from an anonymous poster to unlock the door. But hopefully your experience and some persistence will help.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What this paper wants for the Web is not what works for the Web. Sharp, engaging headlines don't work on the Internet. Plain and simple does.

4. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Job description says: We want a creative thinker who can bring fresh ideas to the site and help guide the online coverage of major beats such as the Dolphins, Marlins, Heat and high schools, and major college programs at Miami, Florida and Florida Atlantic. The job includes keeping the sports index page updated, writing sharp, engaging headlines, updating pages and features on the site, creating new products and features as well as involvement in regular multimedia packages, such as photo galleries, audio/video features, live chats with site users, and creation of Web-exclusive content.

Nah, that'll never work. ....

Stitch, I think they know what they're doing. Read the headlines on their site.

What you want in a Web headline is to be sharp and engaging with key names and phrases to maximize hits from search engines.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I completely agree. Web headlines are about making your readers click around as much as possible. Plain and simple doesn't pay the bills.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Web heds are used so people can find you stuff through Google. If users don't know what a story is about because a hed is clever, then users won't click through.

Heds on the Web site today. Sharp and engaging?

Off-duty deputy charged with threats at nightclub
    New Jersey couple killed in Boca Raton crash
    Four Owl starters ineligible for Motor City Bowl
    Commentary: Playoffs are an answer away for Dolphins

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I disagree. Readers who go to the Palm Beach Post on a daily basis are only going to click the headlines if they interest them. Most hits wont come from referrals from search engines like google.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've actually been actively involved in this whole business on my site, and trust me: You can have interesting and engaging headlines AND do things that will optimize your availability to search engines. In our next generation of content management, we're going to have both: A title bar headline that says it plain and simply, and another headline on the story itself that can be as creative as we want it.

And, there's a difference between the headline you put on "cover stories" and in the headlines that you click on to get to stories and the headlines on the stories themselves.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

An update: Matt Porter of the Boston Globe/Boston.com got this gig. Congrats!

10. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Knowing Matt personally, this is a great hire for the Post. This guy's going places.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Like Florida!

Draft saved Draft deleted