1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports VIDEO and BROADCAST internship in Washington D.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Napolean23, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Napolean23

Napolean23 Member

Hey folks...As the poster of this job and the founder of this company, I'd like to clarify the position and the issue of paid vs. unpaid.

I've been doing this for awhile. I've tried to bring in "paid" interns and what I've ended up with, often (not always), is interns that want to get college credit, cruise, and make a buck.

I invest a lot of my time, energy and equipment into the interns and provide them with a skill-set that allows them to get jobs in an industry that is withering. I grow people into paid roles within the company and I like to weed out the "less-passionate" from the beginning of the process.

The truth is, I'd rather not toss money at people that aren't interested in doing this for the love of the game. Once they've proven that, they become paid contractors. I've also helped many of them get jobs at major media organizations like The Washington Post, ESPN and CBS.

I don't expect you to take my word for it. So, instead, let them tell you about my company, what they learned and what it did for them.

You can watch their testimonials here:

http://www.synthesismp.com/our-team

I should also mention that my first two internships in college were unpaid.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's too bad the co-founder thinks you won't have heart if he pays interns. You have to be a terrible person to want to afford a clean bowl of gruel and a bare floor to sleep on.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lord. Stitch, give it up please. We get it. You think they're crap. Those who agree with you can save themselves the agony of applying and maybe getting one of these.

Draft saved Draft deleted