1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports VIDEO and BROADCAST internship in Washington D.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Napolean23, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Napolean23

Napolean23 Member

Here's the link
    http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/tfr/2857878852.html

This is an unpaid internship for the Spring 2012 in Washington D.C./Maryland/Va.

Synthesis Multimedia Productions is at the forefront of video production and multimedia development for major media organizations like The Washington Post, media organizations, non-profits, universities and small and large businesses. As a contractor to these companies, SMP produces video journalism for web stories, commercials for clients, branding and marketing tools and much more.

Currently, SMP is in search of interns with experience (or the desire to learn) video production to produce packages for major media organizations and clients. This internship will have a heavy emphasis on sports, including high school sports, college sports and professional sports.

This is a hands-on opportunity. Interns/producers will be given equipment and training and sent out into the field to produce their own video packages and will gain bylines at major media organizations. Interns will also be given the opportunity to work on live broadcasts for major media organizations. The previous 10 interns have become paid contractors within this company and then earned jobs at major media companies, like The Washington Post, CBS, ESPN and others.

Here are a few examples of what we do:

VIDEO SHOOTING/EDITING:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/she-can-kick-she-can-throw-she-can-do-it-all/2011/10/20/gIQAaKre0L_video.html

LIVE BROADCAST

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/20515543

Want to know more about what we do? And what you would do as an intern?

Check out our web site and make sure to view the "Producer Testimonials" on the "Our Team" page. The previous 10 interns have become paid contractors within this company and then earned jobs at major media companies, like The Washington Post, CBS, ESPN and others.

http://www.synthesismp.com/

We're looking for journalists first, technical expertise is not required, we'll teach you how to edit. Those with knowledge of IMOVIE, Final Cut, and other editing programs are strongly encouraged to apply.

To apply: Send a cover letter (explaining why you want this internship), resume and clips to B.J. Koubaroulis at the above-listed email address.

Journalism students can complete this internship for college credit.

DURATION OF INTERNSHIP: March 5-June 25
    YOU MUST HAVE A CAR AND A LICENSE.
    Deadline for Applications is Feb. 25

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If it's unpaid, it's crap. No need for companies like this to offer illegal internships.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Illegal? Wrong board, maybe, but aren't most internships unpaid?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ours are, and there's nothing illegal about them. Nor are they "crap." Lots of places have cut out internships entirely. As long as you are fair to the people who are working for "free," give them a limited timeframe (12-14 weeks) and give them some experience that will help them get a real, paid job, it is far from "crap."

Far from ideal, too, but there's a lot about our business these days that's far from ideal.

I know the guy who runs this group and he's excellent. If I'm hiring for this kind of position and I see this on your resume, you have a huge leg up.

To call it "crap" is to show a serious level of arrogance that has no place in the profession these days.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can't argue with the part about the last 10 interns becoming paid contractors -- great to see, and anyone shopping for internships should look for such track records -- but I'll admit the unpaid thing rubs me wrong. Not illegal, but not especially right either. Something as small as a $50-100 weekly stipend to cover gas at the very least seems fair.

Yes, a lot of places have cut out or significantly scaled back interships, and that's sad for our profession. But a good number of those did because they couldn't pay the interns anymore, and didn't feel right in making them unpaid.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does the unpaid internship pass the test?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/03/business/03intern.html?pagewanted=all

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Moddy, an unpaid internship is still bush league. Don't try to pull rank with your defense of the practice.

8. Moderator1

I'm not DEFENDING it. I don't much like it - but I'd rather have that than nothing to offer. My internships years ago (yes, paid) set me up for my career. I'd rather offer something than nothing. A year? No way? A few months? Again, better than nothing.

9. Moderator1

Let me try putting it this way - I'd love to pay them all but I'd hate to take it away. I had several interns last summer (and will again this summer). I paid 'em a whole lot of nothing (but did buy lunch now and then). What did they get? About 12 weeks of editing, guidance and experience. They got clips from MLB, the NFL and much, much more. I think all of them would say they left better than when they arrived. I didn't expect full-time hours because I wanted them to be able to make a few bucks. One of my guys was a waiter and we worked around his schedule.

If I get an entry level spot, some of them will have an advantage because I already know them, know their work, know their work habits.

Again, ain't ideal. But far, far, far from crap.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The experience isn't crap, but the situation is. The argument that something is better than nothing doesn't wash with me. The company could pay, but chooses not to, and therefore exploits its interns. If weeklies in Podunk, Minn., can pay $10-12/hour for interns, a company in D.C. can as well.

BTW, why is this listing allowed, by those from blogs looking for volunteer contributions are deleted?

11. Moderator1

Those blogs are not deleted. They are moved to the right board.
    Sorry you have a burr up your ass about these things.

12. Crash

Crash Active Member

I don't really have an opinion on unpaid v. paid. Everyone would prefer to be paid, but I benefited from two unpaid internships where I developed relationships that got me where I am today.

But, as someone who did an internship in DC while I was in college, an unpaid internship in DC really limits your pool of potential applicants, I'd think. DC ain't cheap. My internship there included a stipend, and even it came up several hundred bucks short of covering rent for the four months I was there.

Draft saved Draft deleted