1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Travel. Seriously.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wait, I forgot who I was for a moment: Your ME should hire a stringer because it's more economical.

2. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Yeah, we pretty much set the bar at about 7 hours for drive trips. I could drive 10 hours to one of my games this year, but I'm flying instead. Got a great deal on a roundtrip ticket, so it'll end up being way cheaper than driving it, even with a rental car thrown in.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It's not really my call. I'll bet right now that when the SE and I talk to the ME about this, the reply will be somewhere in the neighborhood of, "No, unless you can get a ride with someone."

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

A 10-hour drive does not bother me in the least.

I don't care for flying, it's a fucking hassle. I do it, I flew a few of my 10-hour drives this year, but I like the freedom of driving if I can.

And Joe's math is suspect as hell. Factor in my drive time to the airport (2 hours), getting to the airport early to deal with security (4 hours) and the flight time itself and the scales are weighed more evenly.

And you can shove your stringer where the sun don't shine.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

We don't generally go to any of the away games for the high schools here in town, even though the most any would travel is 90 minutes. But we travel to state tourneys. The SE told me the reason we don't go to the away games is that we have too mnay schools that are close. But my take is that the editor, and publisher, are cheap. They will give the copy desk 25 hours of overtime, for one person, but I can't go to an all-star series where we have 5 players partaking.

Draft saved Draft deleted