1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports terms that have fallen out of favor in the last 60 years

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One I have discovered is "marker" as a frequently-used synonym to a touchdown in the quite quaint sport of American football. Nobody uses it anymore.

"Aerial" was also oft-used by typewriter-pounding scribes to describe the revolutionary practice of the forward pass. And teams would typically "try" each other in hedlines.

Anyone else ever notice olden terms and/or intentionally incorporate them? Grantland Rice is obviously irreproducible in commonplace terms because of the times and the changes in language and culture. But sometimes old shit turns up a good phrasing.

2. Harriers, cagers, gridders. We use 'em all. Frequently.

3. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

What about Keglers? That's one of my favorite.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Both SIDs at the school I cover use "markers" at least once in every basketball release they do. I don't remember seeing it much for other sports, but you can guarantee in a basketball release someone will "add a dozen markers on the night."

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Write a high school basketball or baseball roundup with 8-9 results that covers 25-30 column inches, and you will pull every term out of your ass. At least I used to.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Tried using "wapolos" in a headline once ... day desk changed it on me.

And when I the agate page, I try using "Knickerbockers" instead of "Knicks."

7. Football_Bat

Local note: Yannigans.

8. Babs

Babs Member

Yeah, I see markers a lot. That's still widely in use. Not just a football term.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

::)

10. Football_Bat

Fem (representing women's sports).

11. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

"Pick six." Oh wait, that's one that's abused now.

12. About six years ago I had an older sportswriter working for me who would use the term "second sacker" to describe the second baseman. That never made it to print.

Draft saved Draft deleted