1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Teams You Would Get Rid of or Move

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Feb 16, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh boy, you guys better be careful. The Jacksonville comments are going to get the slack-jawed yokels out and crying in full force about how their precious little city is awesome and how Black Tarp Stadium is a real great place for an NFL team.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hofstra's football team.

Wait, already done. :D

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

BYH calling anyone a slack-jawed yokel is like Hosni Mubarak telling Quadaffi that he's a little too stern with his people.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Why should the Predators go anywhere?

There are 10 teams with worse attendance; they have a large corporate following; they're on the short list for an All-Star game; they've had 1 coach in 13 years of existence; they regularly make the playoffs; and are currently tied at fourth in pts in the Western Conference.

The Preds are not the Thrashers. Hell, they're not even the Islanders.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Preds and (as far as I can tell) the Blue Jackets are fine.

Being a Caps fan, I watch a lot of Southeast Division hockey, and the arenas in Atlanta and Florida are always woefully empty. Tampa and Carolina seem to be doing fine.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Jags to LA would work - they don't really have an established "footprint" in the league (I can't recall ever seeing them on any NFL Films retrospective, and I can't think of what their greatest "moment" was - the playoff win at Pittsburgh?), it would be the closest thing LA could get to an expansion team without messing up the 32-team formula. Though where would you put them? Move them to the NFC West, move the Rams to the NFC South and move Carolina to the AFC South?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The playoff win at Denver would have to be the Jags biggest highlight.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

EverBank Field was required by the city to have a capacity big enough to host the Florida/Georgia game. The tarps are a terrible aesthetic but give them a more manageable NFL capacity of 67,000. Lincoln Financial Field's capacity is only 68,500.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's actually who I meant. The Thrashers. The Predators have been solid.

10. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct.

Watched a Whalercanes-Thrashers replay late Sunday night. Waaaayyyy too many empty seats in the arena in Atlanta. There was no bigger conflict, no Super Bowl, no Falcons game or Braves games and NASCAR isn't in full swing. While it's true that some of the non-traditional markets are papering the house, to use the terms of our good Canadian friends, Atlanta can't even do that.

Gary Bettman really needs to give up his losing battle with the Panthers, Thrashers and Coyotes. There are markets in Hamilton and Quebec City that would certainly do better. The third? Probably Winnipeg. Sure, it's a rather limited market, but still will almost certainly outperform the failed concept of hockey in the desert. If not Winnipeg, then perhaps Kansas City.

And if things don't improve on Long Island, moving the Islanders might not be so far-fetched.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

First, I'd cut back on the number of games all around.

MLB season, in particular, needs to be about 144 games.

Draft saved Draft deleted