1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports tab ideas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sweetbreads bailey, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK. Survival is a good reason. I thought you just wanted more work or something.

Assuming this is small paper, instead of a tab, can you do a page or something during Little League season featuring a certain team each week and sell a spot for an ad.

Or maybe during high school season have a page where you'd have a team or player of the week and sell a spot next to that.

2. The funny part is this is coming out at the same time the company is cracking down on everyone's OT ... and of course the products have to be "high quality" ... something's going to have to give at some point...

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

As painful as it is and as much as I try to avoid it, readers of smaller papers will eat Little League stuff up. Even if it just has their kids' name in the paper, parents will be one for themselves, one for the scrapbook and one for the grandparents and other relatives each.

At my last stop, I did a big page on the local little league All-Star teams, just including the rosters, any stats coaches could provide and their schedule. I anchored it with a story about a girl playing on one of the boys teams. I have never received so many thank you e-mails and requests for extra papers in my life.

That is something any ad dept could sell.

Draft saved Draft deleted