1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Outing at Mountain Valley

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by anotherjrcsurvivor, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Thank you, beardpuller. Just living life. I'm selfish. I've had too much fun with you and the rest of the gang to give up so give yourself credit, too.

2. Maple Grove Raceway has joined the fight against ALS by donating to the May 10 Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Outing at Mt. Valley. Maple Grove communications director Evan Jones sent 4 tickets for the Oct. 2 NHRA Nationals at the track in Mohnton, PA. The tickets become part of the raffle or auction pools. ...An informal count has the equivalent of 15 foursomes committed to the tournament.... keep spreading the word.

3. The Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Outing at Mt. Valley has received verbal or e-mail commitments from captains of 20 foursomes, plus approximately 15 other players. With the tourney still more than 2 months away, this would represent a record field, topping the previous best of 77. But the goal remains 100 plus players.
    For silent auctions we have items from Tom Watson, Jon Gruden, Paula Creamer, Sparky Anderson, Curt Schilling, Ryan Howard, Andy Reid and Cherry Valley Winery of Saylorsburg. Businesses that have donated include:DBi Services of Hazleton, Bob Weaver Chevrolet of Pottsville, Maple Grove Raceway/INHRA Nationals, Camden Riversharks baseball team, Harrisburg Senators baseball team, Outback Steakhouse at Wilkes-Barre, Reading Express Indoor Football team, McGinley's of Blakeslee, Red Robin Restaurants of the Lehigh Valley, K & S Jewelers of Brodheadsville

4. The State College Spikes, Class A NY-Penn League affiliate of the Pirates, is the latest baseball team to join the fight against ALS by donating to the 8th annual Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Tournament at Mt. Valley. The event is scheduled for May 10. The Spikes donated vouchers good for 2 box seats at any 2011 season home game

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't know if it's remotely feasible for me to attend -- mostly because of my mom's illness with ... ALS -- but if it were, what airport would I fly into for this?

6. The nearest airports are Allentown & Wilkes-Barre. But, Newark and Philly are direct flights from the West Coast. We have participants from both of those areas and might be able to work out a carpool for you if we get on it fast enough. You would automatically win the longest drive, which I could venture guess might be equal to your entry fee.

7. Wall Photos
    By Larry O'Rourke · 67 of 67
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tag This PhotoDone Tagging
    Download
    Make Profile Picture

Veteran Pennsylvania sportswriters Terry Larimer, Doyle Dietz and Jack O'Connor have signed as volunteers for the May 10 Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Outing at Mt. Valley. They join Ally Brothers and Beth Stephens, ALS Research Coordinators at Hershey Medical Center, and Theresa Roebuck and Helen Ferrel, two of my home health caregivers from Maxim, on the volunteer roster. Former Schuylkill County radio personality/shock jock George Stoddard also is on the volunteer staff. Eva Zaccaria, side-line reporter for Verizon FIOS1 of NY/NJ also will be back for the second time in three years as a volunteer.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, SF stands for "South Florida," but it kind of applies anyway. :)

9. The NFLPA has donataed a Willie McGinest-autographed official NFL football to the May 10 Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Outing at Mt. Valley. The ex-Patriot and ex-Brown is a two-time Pro Bowl selection and 3-time Super Bowl champion

10. Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Tournament at Mt. Valley is not played until May 10, but already has received a donation of $100 for the Packard Center at Johns Hopkins U from Allan Kaspar of the Poconos. Allan, a member of the band DNA Project, read about the Packard Center's ALS research through our postings on facebook. Allan will receive some Eagles memorabilia from the golf tourney prize pool.
    :)

11. The Reading Phillies, Class AA affiliate of the Phillies, is the latest baseball team to help the fight against ALS by donating to the 8th annual Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Tournament at Mt. Valley. The event is scheduled for May 10. The R-Phils donated 6 vouchers good for $2 each off the purchase of $8 tickets for any 20l1 season home game. Tournament volunteer Doyle Dietz gets credit for the assist on procuring this item.

Draft saved Draft deleted