1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Outing at Mountain Valley

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by anotherjrcsurvivor, Nov 17, 2010.

1. The Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Outing owes a big thank you to the Class AAA Iowa Cubs for donating a Sparky Anderson-autographed baseball to our prize pool. Special thanks to Mark Dempsey of the Iowa Cubbies staff. This means our prizes include items from PGA great Tom Watson, anti-ALS crusader/baseball great Curt Schilling, the Eagles' Andy Reid, David Akers and Trent Cole, the Phillies' Brian Schneider and many others. **When: Tuesday, May 10, 2011; shotgun start 10 a.m. **Where: Mt Valley Golf Course, Barnesville, Pa. (www.mtvalleygolf.com) **Cost: $65 per player includes donation to charities (approximately $12-$17 per player), cart and greens fees, soft drinks (alcohol sold separately) and post-round luncheon, prizes..

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

My mom has ALS, and watching her slow deterioration is extremely tough. She got it as a woman (unusual) and she got it in her 70s (unusual), although when I mentioned it was hard to take that she got it that late in life, the person I was talking to responded, "Well, better than the norm in her 50s, right?"

Point taken.

I applaud anybody who can make this event and support the cause.

3. Hello SF Express,
    Thank you for the words of encouragement. I've had ALS diagnosis since April/May 2008. But I probably had symptoms for a year and a half before that. The support I receive from family, friends, colleagues, health professionals, athletes, teams I've covered and strangers has been awesome. I really believe we are making strides against ALS. Please tell your Mom to keep fighting. We can hope that help arrives in the nick of time for people such as your Mom and me. Thanks again for encouraging people to participate in this event.
    --Larry

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I should show up. I'm moving to the area next month.

5. Stitch,
    Yes, please show up. Just shoot me an e-mail at pascribe@ptd.net about 2 weeks before the event.
    We always have a threesome or two (or three) that could use a player. We have had reporters or editors from at least 20 different media outlets participate over the years. And if you're new to the area, Mt. Valley is a great golf course experience.--Larry

6. To answer a question: yes you can use your Marriott points nearby. There is a Fairfield and a Residence Inn in Hazleton, about 15 minutes north of Mt. Valley and 8 miles south of the I-80 - I-81 intersection. They offer quick on/off access to I=81, and the Fairfield has a Damon's Sports Bar in its parking lot.

7. The latest donors for the May 10 Reporters Against ALS Golf Tournament at Mt. Valley are: LPGA Champion Paula Creamer, Red Robin Restaurants of the Lehigh Valley, K & S Jewelers of Brodheadsville, Midas of Wind Gap, Brown Daub of Wind Gap, Wendy's of Wind Gap, Wegman's of Easton, Weis Market of Bangor, Great Clips of Easton, Big Creek Winery of Kunkletown, Cherry Valley Winery of Saylorsburg, Red Lobster of Tannersville, Longhorn Steakhouse of Tannersville,and Perfumes By Deb of Kunkletown.

8. The Harrisburg Senators AA Eastern League team is the latest to join the fight against ALS by donating to the 8th annual Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Tournament at Mt. Valley. The event is scheduled for May 10. The Senators donated vouchers good for 4 box seats to any 2011 season home game.

9. Sports Reporters Against ALS Charity Golf Outing owes a big thank you to ESPN's Jon Gruden, for signing a piece of art work with his name and Super Bowl XXXVII Champs notation. Jon is portrayed in the 16 3/4" x 11" size poster as Chuckie, the horror movie doll. This will be auctioned off at the May 10 golf tournament at Mt. Valley to benefit ALS research and treatment.

10. The Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Outing has its first major sponsor. DBi Services of Hazleton, Pa., which provides contract highway maintenance across the U.S. & Canada, donated $700 to the ALS Assoc. Philadelphia Chapter in the name of the golf outing. "This is awesome," event organizer Larry O'Rourke said. "This is something puts well on our way to topping last year's event-record of almost $3,000 raised. If anyone wants information on making a similar donation, please get in touch with me." DBi will be listed as a sponsor on customized golf balls given to players in the May 10 event.
    **When: Tuesday, May 10, 2011; shotgun start 10 a.m.
    **Where: Mountain Valley Golf Course, Barnesville, Pa. (www.mtvalleygolf.com)
    **Cost: $65 per player -- includes donation to charities (approx $12-$17 per player), golf fees, soft drinks (alcohol sold separately) and post-round luncheon, prizes.
    **Non-golfers -- we welcome volunteers and representatives of charities we support and will comp the post-round meal. We also welcome other non-golfers to the post-round meal and raffles. The cost for other non-golfers will be $20, which will include food, soft drink, donation and tickets for raffle prizes.
    **The field: goal is 100+ players; media and non-media welcome. Scramble format.
    **To benefit ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease research/treatment at Penn State Hershey Medical Center and ALS Association. Most of the event-record $2,900 raised last year went to ALS Association and ALS research at Hershey Med Center and Johns Hopkins U.
    **Also to benefit: "Lauren's First and Goal Foundation," an organization that raises awareness and funds to battle pediatric brain tumors, which have surpassed leukemia as leading cause of cancer deaths in children. www.laurensfirstandgoal.org.

11. The Camden Riversharks baseball team is the latest to join the fight against ALS by donating to the 8th annual Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Tournament at Mt. Valley. The Riversharks donated vouchers good for 4 seats to any 2011 season home game
    Sports Reporters Against ALS Golf Outing at Mt Valley

(formerly Reporters' Challenge Charity Golf Outing at Mountain Valley)

**When: Tuesday, May 10, 2011; shotgun start 10 a.m.

**Where: Mountain Valley Golf Course, Barnesville, Pa. (www.mtvalleygolf.com)

**Cost: $65 per player -- includes donation to charities (approx $12-$17 per player), golf fees, soft drinks (alcohol sold separately) and post-round luncheon, prizes.

**Any questions, or to commit to play, please call me at 570-215-4052. Or email pascribe@ptd.net.

Thank you, Larry O'Rourke

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Larry, you are the man. Miss you on the beat every day. Your courage and tenacity humble me.

Draft saved Draft deleted