1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporters, 12/16.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 16, 2007.

1. It begins...

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

How do you allow your mind to stoop to such levels?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As The Queen snores, our TV had Mitt Romney on for a while and now John Edwards.
    Can we just vote and get this shit over with already? I can't do this for another 11 months.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Lupica says we all were "offended" by Pettitte using HGH. I don't know about anybody else, but I'm not "offended." Disappointed, yes.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm offended that Loopy is a mouth with a 5-2 body attached.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Lupica has offended me far more times than Pettitte ever will...

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I watched Jeremy Schapp, with the mouth that is in synch with the sound coming out like a 1960s Japanese cartoon, and left the room

8. He's also quite comfortable with punishing people "in the court of public opinion."
    Nice to meet you, Mr. Cohn.

9. I know it's blasphemy, but I thought Lupica had a great point about HGH - if it's so acceptable for "recovery," why aren't doctors - with four years of pre-med, four years of medical school and four years of residency, plus some specialized training after that for many of them, under their belts - prescribing it for those purposes? Why is everyone getting it on the black market?

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Does Loopy not have the google?

http://www.webmd.com/news/20070116/growth-hormones-not-fountain-youth

"The cost of this treatment can be $12,000 a year or more, but even if you take the cost out of the equation, there is still a huge potential for causing harm," Perls says. "The people promoting this stuff have absolutely no idea what the long-term health effects are."

Because human growth hormone has not been approved for use as an antiaging treatment by federal regulators, Perls argues that doctors who prescribe it for this purpose are breaking the law.

ADD:

http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia6671.html

REASON FOR ALERT: Human Growth Hormone (HGH) is the active ingredient in a number of human prescription drugs approved for marketing in the U.S. under new drug applications (NDAs). FDA-approved HGH can be legally prescribed for a limited number of conditions including:

* hormonal deficiency that causes short stature in children;
    * long-term treatment of growth failure due to lack of exogenous GH secretion;
    * long-term treatment of short stature associated with Turner syndrome;
    * adult short bowel syndrome;
    * adult deficiency due to rare pituitary tumors or their treatment; and
    * muscle-wasting disease associated with HIV/AIDS.

ADD 2:

Section 303(e) (1) of the FDCA, 21 U.S.C.  333(e) (1), prohibits knowingly distributing, or possessing with the intent to distribute, HGH for any use in humans other than the treatment of a disease or other recognized medical condition, where such use has been authorized by the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) under section 505 of the FDCA (21 U.S.C.  355) and pursuant to the order of a physician. The Secretary of HHS has not authorized, for example, any HGH use for anti-aging, bodybuilding, or athletic enhancement. Thus, distributing, or possessing with the intent to distribute, HGH for these uses or any other unapproved use violates section 303(e) (1) of the FDCA. A violation of section 303(e)(1) carries up to 5 years imprisonment and fines and, if the offense involves an individual under the age of 18 years of age, up to 10 years imprisonment and fines.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I think Loopy's question was rhetorical.

12. "The cost of this treatment can be $12,000 a year or more, but even if you take the cost out of the equation, there is still a huge potential for causing harm," Perls says. "The people promoting this stuff have absolutely no idea what the long-term health effects are."

Neither, it should be said, does Perls.

Draft saved Draft deleted