1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Waseca (Minn.) County News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Via JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1248552

Company: Waseca County News
    Position: Top Notch Sports Reporter Wanted
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: May 20, 2011
    Job ID: 1248552

Description:

The Waseca County News and wasecacountynews.com is looking for a sports reporter, but we won’t settle for the ordinary. We need a reporter who is equally comfortable writing an enterprise piece on booster clubs’ finances or a feature on a top prep athlete. The County News is a 2,900 circulation weekly located an hour south of the Twin Cities in Minnesota. The successful applicant will have curiosity about all kinds of sports and recreation (not just prep athletics), an excellent grasp of interviewing and writing techniques and a demonstrated knowledge of how multimedia enhances reporting. We are a family-owned cluster of 15 publications, eight community websites and regional magazines. All are aggressive, watchdog-oriented newspapers with newsrooms full of talent. Besides the Twin Cities, Waseca is 20 minutes east of Mankato. Benefits include health care insurance, vacation and 401k. Send your resume and no more than five of your best clips to Managing Editor Zach Hacker, Waseca County News, 213 2nd Street NW, Waseca, MN 56093. E-mail it to zhacker@wasecacountynews.com.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm sure a weekly with 2,900 circulation is really holding out for a top-caliber reporter.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

That is really the middle of nowhere considering how close it is to the outskirts of the Twin Cities.

4. spud

spud Member

This is a great photo, though

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Having grown up 10 miles from Waseca, I have to take a bit of exception. If you want the middle of nowhere in Minnesota, you have to go way north, or west. It's close to Mankato, which is big city enough for a lot of people, and the Cities is 1:15 away. It was always a pretty good paper, used to be a twice-a-week until a few years ago.

And maybe you'll get to write a story like this:
    http://www.wasecacountynews.com/news.php?viewStory=7214

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I suppose. A job interview a ways back took me across southern Minnesota and man I felt like I was out there. That said, it should be a nice job for someone from the cities or or the state. And what a link.

7. nmsports

nmsports Member

Explosive orgasm?

Draft saved Draft deleted