1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter wanted to cover Va.Tech

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I used to work with a preps reporter who constantly said "I'm a public figure!" We laughed, but when I was a preps reporter I was very glad that I lived a half hour from the coverage area.

Not that I was out carousing, but work and personal must be as separate as possible.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's more that a few people can make your life rough more than you can't walk down the street without getting noticed.

A neighbor of mine is a big time high school coach, and the week before he played the high school whose district we both live in, he was getting dog poop hung on his mailbox kids driving buy wearing their game jerseys and other crap. Needless to say, his team destroyed the local boys on the field, and I am pretty sure the dogs were called off a little later than usual because of this.

Now does he go to Kroger and get noticed like a public figure? No. But a few people knowing who he is made his life a little tough for a week.

That is what I would try to avoid, but Moddy's point outweighs mine.

3. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

I'd love to have this job in about six years, when both my teenagers are in college and I no longer have to be concerned about being home regularly to keep my wife from losing her mind :D

Maybe my boy Nate will have moved on to bigger and better things by then, because I think this job has his name written all over it.

If he's not Trosky's first interview, I'll be shocked.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'm kinda fascinated by this whole "media celebrity" thing. Just to be straight, are we talking about not wanting to run into the people you cover, or your readers?

Because if it's the latter, aren't they mostly going to be in Richmond?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not kissing up but Moddy is speaking the truth. The VT beat has become a beast of its own through the years.
    What fascinates me is that guys are worried about hanging out and seeing people they write about. Big deal. If you see them out and about, speak and keep going. No one wants to hear about a botched play or a missed sack when they are out relaxing. At some point, you have to turn the reporter recorder off, know what I mean?
    Now if you see them doing something stupid that will undoubtedly be in the police blotter, that's a different issue.

6. That'd be incredible to have that job and that salary. Maybe someday I can get to that level.

7. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

This is exactly what happens. Also, remember that most newspaper readers are a tad older than the out getting sh*tfaced crowd, so you probably don't have to worry too much about it if that is your concern.

8. Balthier

Balthier Member

Just based on the fact he was a "Moddy hire"

Warters > Slater

;)

9. Balthier

Balthier Member

Let me also echo a Wonderlic's very handsome statement that there is someone in the company already pumping out great VT work.

Very happy to see they're filling this slot. Now, how about a NASCAR writer MG?

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The only downside I see to Warters getting the job is the good chance he doesn't get replaced in Lynchburg.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I know what you mean. That's how I used to see such a salary when I was in the business.

Oh, print journalism, how you devalue good people.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Or maybe he STAYS in Lynchburg and starts covering for the chain? That's what Landmark did with this beat. That's what Landmark did with racing until it decided not to do that anymore, even though it had a guy many thought was the best beat guy in the business.

It will be interesting to watch. I hope whatever happens, whether Nathan gets this spot or not, each paper ends up with its own beat person.

Draft saved Draft deleted