1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter wanted to cover Va.Tech

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I admit, I was a little surprised at the salary range. First, that they posted one at all, and second, because that seems a smidge low for a prestige beat at one of Virginia's two top papers. But it's a quality job where your stuff will absolutely be read, and you'll go heads-up with a gaggle of good young talent.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

To me, I like living away from where I work.

Maybe you would be a semi-celebrity in Roanoke as well, but I like not bumping into people I would work with (or cover) constantly. To me, that is worth the drive.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, apply then and live in Roanoke. And get your ass kicked regularly by people who are much closer to the people they are covering.
    And you would not be a "semi-celebrity" of any kind.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Operator: 9-1-1. What's your emergency?
    Devil: My house is on fire!
    Operator: We'll send the fire department immediately, sir.
    Devil: Well...I'm sure the firefighters here in town are semi-celebrities and get annoyed at all the attention they receive when they go to the grocery store, so do you mind sending the fire department from two counties over? They live in relative peace way over there.
    Operator: /dispatches no one and lets Devil's house burn to the ground.

5. 93Devil

Thanks everyone for attcking me when I say something positive about SW VA and Tech.

6. Mystery Meat II

So Slater's covering South Carolina, former Va. Pilot beater Kyle Tucker is doing Kentucky and his replacement Andy Bitter is fresh off a stint on the Auburn beat. Maybe there's some legs to that Virginia Tech to the SEC talk after all!

7. Mystery Meat II

Please. You're not being attacked. The silly notion that you'd be some kind of celebrity in Blacksburg because you're one of a half-dozen people covering the Hokies and that would drive you to live an hour away so you could blend in with the common folk more readily? That's what's getting "attacked", though "made fun of" is the more accurate turn of phrase there.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What did you say positive about VT? And while what you said about SWVA was positive, it was not correct.

You seem like a real good guy, honest. But sometimes, you need to back away and say, "Uh, well, I was wrong. My bad," and let the people who know something about the subject carry on. We're all wrong sometimes. Even me. I thought I made a mistake once but I was wrong. I didn't.

9. 93Devil

No problem.

It's a hell of an opportunity in this day and age, and I am sure this job will be ultra-competitive in the interview process. Whoever gets this gig will have a hell of a resume and clips folder.

I am in a position now where people know me before I know them, and I am just not crazy about that happening on weekends when I am out with my family. That is why I live 40 miles from where I work.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dude, I'm your FB friend and if you paid me $100 right now I'm not sure I could tell you your name.

11. 93Devil

None of my co workers are my facebook friends. My life and work are two totally seperate things.

12. I agree on both counts. You also have to factor in furloughs, which have been quite regular occurrences at MG papers. So that might be more like $40-45k.

Draft saved Draft deleted