1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Traverse City, Michigan

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Apr 10, 2008.

1. sportswriter9247

sportswriter9247 New Member

As a former CNHI employee I would advise strong caution here.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Pay for this was about $26-28K about 7-8 years ago. That was also when Ogden owned them.

No idea if the pay would be the same under CNHI.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Few more things...

They cut overtime and made some other business decisions that baffle the mind, but the publisher, executive editor and news editor are solid, old school journalists that do a pretty decent job of letting the staff work without the bullshit. Raises aren't worth shit, though.

Guy who is being replaced was there 25 years, so no matter what, they are probably saving a few bucks w/ whomever the new guy is. That may help the pay a hair.

There are three high schools in town (two public, one Catholic) who have really good hockey and ski teams, so-so everything else. There's around 50 high schools in the coverage area.

I'm sure I'll get more eventually, and will pass it on.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They have one hell of a photog at this joint, and his taste in gin is impeccable.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I will say two of their news side editors -- Dave Miller and Mike Tyree -- are top notch guys...

6. Thinking Man

Thinking Man Member

Slap is on the mark about Mr. Tyree .... worked with him years ago when we were both starting out. Solid, solid journalist. There are few places on the planet that are better than TC in the summer, too.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm just checking in for an update. Who did they hire? I know it's only been a few days, but I sent the SE links to all of my blog posts on minor league hockey and Arena Football? I also sent him a muffin basket. Anything else I need to get the gig?

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Who's leaving?

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

candidates will be contacted by april 24.... per HR

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Jeff Peek leaving after more than two decades.

http://www.record-eagle.com/archivesearch/local_story_097094303.html

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

From the Perennially Overrated pipeline (yes, I have one, albeit small):

Mike Eckert, formerly of the Argus Press, has been offered and accepted this position. I believe he is supposed to start in June. Mike is a helluva good guy, a close friend, a hard worker and talented writer. (No, I'm not him, so shut up.)

Congrats, Mike. Go get 'em.

Draft saved Draft deleted