1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter to undergo sex change

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Apr 26, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Since you, ahem, never post anything about sports journalism . . .

. . . why is Yawn relevant on SportsJournalists.com?

2. nutgraph

nutgraph New Member

i learned the reason the los angeles times didn’t allow mike penner, now christine daniels, or anyone else on staff, to write about the soon-to-be ex-wife lisa dillman was because of some california labor law. the paper was worried dillman, a times writer, would sue.

by the way, dillman is on vacation. i feel terrible for her. below is the link to an interview daniels had with a los angeles sports radio station.

http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/710espn/sectional?id=bigshowpodcasts

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Put it somewhere other than sports then. What (s)he did is not in any way associated with the Stanley Cup or NBA playoffs.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You're about a week late for this part of the argument. Sports is exactly where it belongs because that is where the people who have been reading the Mike Penner byline for so many years would look. It's called common sense. Give it a try sometime.

5. nutgraph

nutgraph New Member

here are a couple of questions I haven’t seen asked about this situation:

1] what does christine daniels do if she’s not happy with her transformation a year from now and wants to return to being mike penner?

2] does the byline change again?

3] another blog, maybe “back to being a dude sportswriter?”

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

1] It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind.
    2] Probably
    3] Hope not

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's just a question on a message board, lad, so I'll be gentle, but that ain't gonna happen.

She's been wrestling with this for coming up on 50 years; she finally took "the step." She won't be going back.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'm happy that Christine Daniels is happy. Shame that she had to wait this long to be strong enough to do it. More people should be brave to just be themselves.

9. ZoeB

ZoeB Member

True.

I wasn't though. If my metabolism hadn't have gone strange, I would still be doing the boy act. Transition is terrifying, it destroys marriages, wrecks careers (not just your current position, often it makes you unemployable anywhere in your industry). Chances of having any form of love life ever again are less than 50/50 if you don't continue an existing relationship. Many look far too awful to ever "pass" without stares, whispers, and sometimes violence or even arrest.

If you go for surgery, 1 in 5 will never have an O again, so sex better not be that important to you. People have been known to go into surgery and come out under a sheet, while others never walk again, or end up with colostomy bags. It is not risk-free. Many just remain celibate and don't have the surgery, they're able to tolerate their deformity. I wasn't.

All I can say is.... the alternative, not transitioning, is worse. Guys, imagine if your body was feminine, and always had been? Now you know why so many top themselves. It gets worse with age, not better.

I must emphasise though, the relief if you do successfully transition, as Christine appears to be doing, is indescribable. Wonderful. The main problem is those who not only don't understand, they won't look at the evidence, and will forever think it's some sort if Commie Pre-Version and conspiracy to pollute our precious bodily fluids. It doesn't help to have gay men and drag queens co-opt us against our will into some sort of "Transgender" movement. We just want to be normal, or as normal as we can be, and not make waves. Impossible if you're a sports writer though. Or a rocket scientist.

10. boots

boots New Member

Here is a look at Christine.
    http://sportsbybrooks.com/christine-daniels-first-photo-posted-on-los-angeles-times-transsexual-sportswriter-formerly-mike-penner-12741.php

11. nutgraph

nutgraph New Member

sf_express,

a guarantee that christine daniels won't make the switch? you can’t, even though i know you know the writer formally known as mike penner really well. also heard from sources that daniels waited until bill dwyre was forced out as sports editor to come out at the los angeles times.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Q-and-A with Christine.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18615905/site/newsweek/

I haven't finished reading it, but the first question out of the box was about the column, and she didn't want to do it, it was all the newspaper pushing for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted