1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, The Robesonian (Lumberton, N.C.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Khary McGhee, Mar 5, 2007.

1. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

They finally moved into the new office back in the fall of 2005.

2. Kable

Kable Member

I have a couple of questions. How many clips would they want to see? And would they take electronic clips (i.e. posted on a website)?

3. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Any word on this one? Have interviews started?

4. adirondacks

adirondacks Guest

jumped on this kind of late, but I heard through the grapevine that the rob was hiring.
    I'll give two words of advice: STAY AWAY

don't know about the sports ed, but the ed, douglas, treats his employees like bags of dog shit. trust me. he storms around the newsroom throwing tempertantrums, berating, cursing, belittling, just basically treating everyone like shit. He'll yell and curse, and has made at least one reporter that I know of cry. (she was girl, but still) He's basically a grownup bully who's never heard the words "employee moral," or at least doesn't care. He never gives the benefit of the doubt and never turns down the opportunity to criticize.

I know what you're thinking, "a grown man throws tempertantrum?" yes, yes he does. They rival ones I've seen by 2 year old babies

I've had several bosses, and talked with countless people, and I haven't heard of a boss who comes anywhere NEAR being as bad as douglas. im actually surprised he hasnt gotten fired yet. At a bigger corporation, with an actual human resources department, he would have been out on his ass long ago. But he's in good with the pub, so he'll probably never get canned.

plus, lumberton is the worst place on earth. tons of crime and nothing to do.

I dont know about those who have said that douglas has helped them, because I know of one man who worked there for a while, and when a potential employer called, dd sabotaged him.

heed my advice, STAY AWAY. Life is too short to work for guys like him.

5. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

I feel compelled to answer the previous post.

I haven't worked for Donnie Douglas for very long, but I can say this with a lot of confidence: his heart is in the right place. He wants a good product every single day the paper goes to press. Will he let you hear it if you screw up? Most definitely. Can he be critical? Certainly.

Having worked for bosses who only care about getting the paper out everyday with little regard to content, I know I'd much rather have a boss like Donnie than someone who doesn't take care to make sure content is its best everyday.

The bottom line: if you give 100 percent, which is what I demand from my staff, then you wouldn't have to hear Donnie.

As for criticism, boo-hoo for you if you can't take it. That's a part of this business. No one is trying to hurt your feelings when they tell you that you've turned in crap or that you need to do it again or if they heavily edit you. They're just trying to make you better.

And if you can't handle that then maybe you shouldn't apply for this job. Or any job in journalism for that matter.

But if you want to come and work hard and have your copy sharpened and your reporting skills honed, then give us a shot.

By the way, thanks to all who have applied. Lots of you have contacted me personally via email, and I haven't been able to reply to you all. We're still going through the application materials and will contact you as interviews get started.

If you'd like an honest assessment of the job, I think some of the posters who posted earlier would be glad to give you their opinion. PM them.

Draft saved Draft deleted