1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, The Punxsutawney Spirit

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jbrown1450, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Jbrown1450

Jbrown1450 New Member

From JJobs.com: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=459490

Salary is listed at $20,000-$25,000

WANTED IMMEDIATELY! – A reporter who can translate his or her enthusiasm for sports to the printed word. The Punxsutawney Spirit, located in the Weather Capital of the World, is looking for a sports reporter who can bring life to sports pages with both copy and design. You’ll be covering all kinds of sports – from high school football, wrestling, basketball and the like to summer Little League and softball – for a community that thrives upon its student athletes. Excellent writing and editing skills a must. Experience with QuarkXPress and photography a definite plus. Send resume, samples of your work (copy and design) and references to Mary Jude Troupe, publisher, The Punxsutawney Spirit, P.O. Box. 444, Punxsutawney, Pa. 15767. E-mail to publisher @punxsutawneyspirit.com.

Web site: http://punxsutawneyspirit.com

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I wonder if every day will be Groundhog Day there?

3. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

There is no truth to the rumor that they will only pay you if the groundhog sees its shadow.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If I remember right, someone from here had this job previously. Lots of local of course. I also believe the reporter wasn't allowed to quote players in stories, just coaches.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Freaky. I just watched that movie yesterday.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The sports articles I read on the site didn't have player quotes. They did have so-and-so head coach said. I thought it's assumed your quoting the head coach if you mention a coach at all.

7. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Ned Ryerson?
    [​IMG]

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

9. boxand1

boxand1 New Member

Quoting players is a bit over-used anyway unless they've done something completely and utterly outstanding.

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Yes, because what better way to inject color and perspective into a piece than a few coach quotes.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You mean, like these?

"The score doesn't show how hard the boys played."

"They never gave up and I'm so proud of them for that."

"We didn't get any breaks and the ones we did get, we didn't take advantage of."

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Chances are the job will open up again tomorrow. And the next day, and the next day...

Draft saved Draft deleted