1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter -- The Punxsutawney (Pa.) Spirit

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Mar 10, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

WANTED IMMEDIATELY!; A reporter who can translate his or her enthusiasm for sports to the printed word. The Punxsutawney Spirit, located in the Weather Capital of the World, is looking for a sports reporter for their Jefferson County Neighbors Newspaper who can bring life to the sports pages with both copy and design. You'll be covering all kinds of sports from high school football, wrestling, basketball and the like to summer Little League and softball for a community that thrives upon its student athletes. Excellent writing and editing skills a must. Experience with Adobe inDesign and photography a definite plus. This is a great chance to take total control of your very own sports section. Send resume, samples of your work (copy and design) and references to Tracy L. Smith, publisher, The Punxsutawney Spirit, P.O. Box. 444, Punxsutawney, Pa. 15767. E-mail to publisher @punxsutawneyspirit.com.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=459490

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

But do you get to cover groundhog races?

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

(In which I post GROUNDHOG DAY! on this thread over and over and over and over again.)

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I hope this guy regularly buys ads. Am I right, or am I right?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

If you see your shadow on Feb. 2,
    you get six weeks of furloughs.

6. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Every day feels the same.

7. welch10

welch10 New Member

In all seriousness, this is a good starting gig. The sports editor is a great guy. Young and dedicated to the craft. I've worked with him and can vouch for his professionalism.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A paper with circulation of about 5,000 has TWO sports guys?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My only knowledge of this place comes from an an AJR story on something from nearly 20 years ago, when the publisher talked about reporter jobs and said they paid $7.50 an hour. A couple of reporters quietly told the AJR guy they made less. The publisher, when caught, made some weak excuse about job duties.

It's funny what you can remember. ...

Draft saved Draft deleted