1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, The Monitor (McAllen, Texas)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Baker, Jun 3, 2009.

1. In Da Hood

In Da Hood New Member

Can't fault you for that Mark.
    I too am a South Texas native (raised in Port Isabel), and no, it's not for everyone. It's much different being raised there, then just moving in. Moving in can be overwhelming if you aren't familiar with that culture (and it is a different culture), just like moving to any area can be.
    The place has grown a lot since I've been there, but HS football will always rule. Yes, the Valley would be better served to probably focus more on soccer and baseball than any other sport, but football will always be top priority, that's just how it is. It's also a bit unique in that when a football team does go a few rounds in the playoffs, it was okay to hate that team in district, but now the whole Valley gets behind it.

Anyway,good luck to whoever gets the job and to those who are considering, seriously, just know what you are getting into first. I'm not trying to sway you away, just hate to see people go down there and leave after a few tired months.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That part I can understand, sort of an "us against the world" mentality, coupled with the fact that they don't go too deep all that often.

The Valley was sort of like the UP in Michigan in terms of being isolated from the "main" part of the state. I could tell even when I was there (early 90s) that the place was booming and I suspect it has a lot more in terms of retail and entertainment than it did back then. For instances, movies wouldn't come to the theatres until a few weeks (sometimes more than a month) after they opened in other places. And the retail options were somewhat limited --- again this was before the days of online shopping.

That being said, I have no doubt it could be a great job for the right person. Warm weather year-round, a sort of laid back "manana" outlook in certain parts, good sports following by the locals, etc.

3. highlander

highlander Member

Heard this job has been filled.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Got a rejection email earlier today ... classy move by Mr. Baker, and definitely the exception to the rule in our business these days. I would imagine they got plenty of applications.

Good luck to whomever got this gig ... it sounds like a very happening place sports-wise nowadays.

5. esport12

esport12 Member

any ideas on who got this one?

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Any updates here? I'm not an applicant, but I've been around the state of Texas (though not WAY down there in McAllen) enough to be curious...

And congrats to the person who got it.

7. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Applied and got a call back for an interview back in my earlier days but ended up going elsewhere. As a long-time Texas resident, I had no issues with the weather. Just a little too far south for me (alllllrrrriiiigggghhhttttt!!!). A good spot for someone who can hablo espanol. Congrats to the winner here.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

And you will be very active. The staff works hard here.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Let me add that I had no concerns about the staff. Just wanted to make that clear.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Congrats to whoever got the gig. Baker is good people.

Draft saved Draft deleted