1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, The Messenger, Madisonville, Ky.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Don Perryman, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Don Perryman

Don Perryman Member

We would like to move quickly on this one. The position becomes available Aug. 29, and we'd like to have someone in place by then. A mailing address is listed below, but I'd prefer resume and clips be sent by email.

Thanks,
    Don

The Messenger, a six-day morning daily in Madisonville, Ky., seeks a sports writer to join our two-person sports staff. Our sports writers are primarily responsible for covering prep sports in Hopkins and Webster counties in western Kentucky. No desk or layout duties are involved. Sports writers report to the lead news reporter and directly to the managing editor. We cover a variety of sports from fishing to football, soccer to volleyball, and a wide range in between. All prep sports have both boys and girls teams with the exception of volleyball and football. Sports writers generally work five afternoon/evening shifts each week, alternating between Wednesday and Saturday off days. Sunday assignments are rare. We do not publish on Monday. The successful applicant will have experience in a newspaper sports department as a writer. He/she will be computer savvy and have the ability to work with and through the Internet. Some photography with a digital camera is occasionally required. The Messenger is a Paxton Media Group newspaper. To apply, send resume and clips to Don Perryman, managing editor, The Messenger, P.O. 529, Madisonville, Ky. 42431, or dperryman@the-messenger.com. Please, no phone calls. PM questions. I'll confirm receipt of emails.

2. Zach Greenwell

Zach Greenwell New Member

I'm the one leaving this position. I will leave Madisonville having worked just under two months, and I'm heading to Bowling Green to accept a position I can't pass up — a college/preps mix position with the Daily News.

I told Don that I wouldn't be leaving Madisonville for at least a year unless a solid opportunity opened up in the state, and that's what happened here. I have really enjoyed my time here, as Madisonville is a community that's responsive to good coverage and really wants to see a good section.

You have a lot of freedom to make this job what you want it to be, and I think we were just gaining some steam as all of the fall sports begin. There's also no design work at this job (the paper's designed in Owensboro), so that frees up a lot of time for extra content like blogs, Twitter, etc., if you're into those sorts of things.

Feel free to PM me or email me if you have any questions.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I've landed at the airport a few times, but never been into town. Nearby Owensboro is about three times as large. Clarksville is about an hour south. Owensboro is about an hour north.

In other words, it's pretty much two hours to anywhere worth going.

4. Don Perryman

Don Perryman Member

For informational purposes, Madisonville is a town of about 19,000 people in Hopkins County which is centrally located in western Kentucky. TBF is correct about the distances to Owensboro and Clarksville. Evansville, Ind. is about 45 minutes north. Nashville is an hour and a half southwest. Louisville is two hours east. Indianapolis is about three hour north. St. Louis is about three and a half hours northwest. One of the nicest state parks in Kentucky is in Hopkins County. The lakes are just a little more than an hour away.

5. Haneluca

Haneluca New Member

This is where I started out and I can only say good things about Don and the paper. Feel free to PM me with any questions as well.

6. Don Perryman

Don Perryman Member

The Messenger sports writer position has been filled. Thanks to all who applied.

Don

Draft saved Draft deleted