1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, The Messenger, Madisonville, Ky.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Don Perryman, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Don Perryman

Don Perryman Member

The Messenger, a six-day morning daily in Madisonville, Ky., seeks a sports writer to join our two-person sports staff. Our sports writers are primarily responsible for covering prep sports in Hopkins and Webster counties in western Kentucky. No desk or layout duties are involved. Sports writers report to the managing editor. We cover a variety of sports from fishing to football, soccer to volleyball, and a wide range in between. All prep sports have both boys and girls teams with the exception of volleyball and football. Sports writers generally work five afternoon/evening shifts each week, alternating between Wednesday and Saturday off days. Sunday assignments are rare. We do not publish on Monday. The successful applicant will have experience in a newspaper sports department as a writer. He/she will be computer savvy and have the ability to work with and through the Internet. Some photography with a digital camera is occasionally required. The Messenger is a Paxton Media Group newspaper. To apply, send resume and clips to Don Perryman, managing editor, The Messenger, P.O. 529, Madisonville, Ky. 42431, or dperryman@the-messenger.com.

PM or email questions - Don Perryman

2. Haneluca

Haneluca New Member

I'm the one leaving this post, so feel free to PM or email me any questions as well. Don took a chance on me right out of college, which I'll always appreciate. He's been a great "boss" and always went to bat for us, even when I made some rookie mistakes in the early going. I planned on staying in Madisonville longer, but my sister recently dropped a niece on me and I found a gig closer to home.

I can go into more detail in a PM if needed, but two of the schools The Messenger covers made it to state in multiple sports this year and one of them has some possible Division I football players heading into their senior year. Madisonville itself is a good town, plus it's about an hour and half from Nashville if you ever want to catch a Titans or Preds game.

3. SteveMcQueen

SteveMcQueen New Member

Already got a call from Don. Says they'll have a decision early next week.

4. Don Perryman

Don Perryman Member

I wanted to let everyone know that we have filled the sports writing position. Thanks to all who showed interest in the job and good luck.

Don Perryman

5. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

I was excited about this one until I realized they didn't have girls football...

Draft saved Draft deleted