1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, The Express-Times, Easton, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Sep 4, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Bigger-boy job. From jjobs.com:

Company: The Express-Times
    Position:
    SEEKING SCHOLASTIC SPORTS WRITER
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    October 9, 2007
    Job ID: 824239

Description:

The Express-Times of Easton, Pa., is looking for an experienced scholastic sportswriter to handle its field hockey and prime wrestling beats, as well as other scholastic coverage of baseball and football. We're in a sports-crazed market that demands high-quality coverage and analysis. This job requires an experienced writer who can write on deadline for print and the Web, and also churn out features and enterprise stories from their beats. If interested, send a resume and writing samples to sports editor Barry Miller at bmiller@express-times.com or 30 N. Fourth St., Easton, PA 18044.
    ------------------------------------
    Before anyone asks:
    Publication Name Frequency Circulation Type Total Circulation* Filing Status
    EXPRESS-TIMES, EASTON (NORTHAMPTON CO.), PA PHILLIPSBURG (WARREN CO.), NJ SAT M DLY 41,899
    EXPRESS-TIMES, EASTON (NORTHAMPTON CO.), PA PHILLIPSBURG (WARREN CO.), NJ SUN DLY 45,939
    EXPRESS-TIMES, EASTON (NORTHAMPTON CO.), PA PHILLIPSBURG (WARREN CO.), NJ AVG M (M-F) DLY 46,932

2. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I got this job, and I can't wait for my first scholastic wrestling event. There will be some strong schoolboys there.

3. thebigd

thebigd Member

B you are a funny guy. I want to see you in your wrestling tights to do a first-person

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Wrestling is king out there. Know your wrestling before you apply. I repeat: Know your wrestling.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

District 11 wrestling, specifically Easton, is king. Bethlehem's schools also are pretty good.

6. Larrbear

Larrbear Member

how many sportswriters know their wrestling? Unless you've wrestled, I can't imagine even having a grasp of it. No pun intended.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You're not hired!

Seriously, you learn it just like any other beat. If you don't know something, you find somebody who does know and ask. The only wrestling I had ever seen before covering my first match had guys jumping off the top rope. I muddled through and eventually got a pretty good knowledge of the sport.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

No offense, wicked, but how is this a "bigger-boy" job?

A great spot for a young but experience high school writer who likes covering wrestling.
    And now part of the Newhouse family as well, so not a bad place to work.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I remember my editor at my first paper doing a Granby roll on one of the writers to demonstrate it. I should put that on the resume.

And they still call it "scholastic" sports, eh?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I should've said intermediate boy job. They ain't gonna hire some rookie for this gig, you and I know that.

They cover the Philly teams and, as you said, it's part of the Newhouse family. Better than the Lean Dean days. And there's also AAA baseball coming into Allentown, the Phillies' Lehigh Valley Ironpigs, as of next year.

(Meat, paper where I string at calls it scholastic sports, too.)

11. thebigd

thebigd Member

anybody hear an update on this one?

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

When can u start?

Draft saved Draft deleted