1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports reporter, The Evening Sun , Hanover, Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by johann, Jun 13, 2011.

1. johann

johann Guest

Hanover has a population of 15,000. Where else is The Evening Sun read?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you know anything about Pennsylvania, the combined population in outlying townships and villages is much larger than a small borough like Hanover.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This.

South Western, the biggest school around Hanover, is suburban, doesn't get "in-city" Hanover kids.

And even though the Gettysburg Times is a daily, the Sun circulates well into Gettysburg.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Evening Sun pretty much owns Adams County and southwestern York County.

5. When I was there, the Evening Sun covered 10 high schools and dabbled a little bit with Gettysburg College. We also covered all home Penn State football games, all home Baltimore Ravens games, some Baltimore Orioles stuff (no regular game coverage) and the local dirt-racing tracks.

I imagine that has changed and the travel budget, even to Baltimore (about 50 miles away) has likely been slashed. That said, the high school sports are good, and there are indeed some really big schools (South Western, Gettysburg) and some tiny ones (Fairfield).

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They pick up Penn State from the YDR. Not sure how much they cover the Ravens/O's nowadays.

7. jr/shotglass

There's a lot of story-sharing between the Sun, the YDR, and even the Chambersburg Public Opinion and the Lebanon Daily News. You can find all their stories on http://www.gametimepa.com/.

8. Yeah, the game has changed. It used to be that we shared everything with the York Dispatch, and the York Daily Record was the competition for the two of us (we also competed with the Gettysburg Times in Adams County). Those were some fun times ... not too many places, even in the salad days of this business, where you might find reporters from five different newspapers (on those occassions when Harrisburg was also in the house) at a prep sports game.

9. LemMan

LemMan Member

I concur with SportsHack. I remember covering the finals of the American Legion baseball tournament - American Legion! - and there six reporters huddled around the winning coach. The good thing was everyone got along well. We were competing, but we still managed to have a little fun whenever we wound up at the same events. Don't know how it is now, though.

10. jr/shotglass

We still like everybody else. ;)

11. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Besides the Sun, what are the reps like for the other three papers?

12. jr/shotglass

Chambersburg's where I started, so I'm a little biased. But to this day, I believe it does more with less than just about anyone out there.

York Daily Record is a solid newspaper in a two-paper city. Good local coverage.

I don't see much of Lebanon.

Draft saved Draft deleted