1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Strasburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Michael_Petre, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

[​IMG]
    "Perhaps you consider us on the rise as well?"
    :D

Aside from the smart-alecky comments, another to voice to say that this is a good-quality paper. Definitely a good launching point if that's what you're looking for.

2. Keystone

Keystone Member

Yup. I remember how Lefty was supposed to make JMU the dominant program in the CAA for the 90s and a regular top 25 team with all of the those stud transfers from the SEC.

And with the exception of a few years in the late 90s when the Manassas paper had a great ME, the Nova Daily has been the best small paper in the state.

3. Michael_Petre

Michael_Petre Member

I wanted to clarify one thing since I'm getting a lot of questions about this:

This opening is two-fold. JMU is the higher-profile aspect of the beat, but the reporter also covers four of our 12 high schools. It's a balancing act that requires a lot of time and dedication to work the beat well.

4. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

JMU men's basketball a regular top 25 team? HAHA!
    Although I will say Dean Keener has brought in some talent. Maybe the Dukies can make a run in 2007-08.
    Then again, maybe not.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sonner is headed to Florence (Ala.) to join Julio's shop.

About time they got some help.

6. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Dear Lord, not another boozer to Florence!

The NCAA Division 2 Championship Game hospitality committee's budget is already maxed out, according to an e-mail I got recently from a former co-worker who annually gets his fellow scribes wasted under the guise of "Media Hospitality."

It's about time the T-D got a replacement for the last bum they ran off.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I'm sure Julio's no-alcohol policy (unless he's inolved) will turn the newbie in the right direction.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, it certainly helped the guy Sonner's replacing.

9. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Boozing aside, what's this area like? I know the DC suburbs are fairly developed, but I've never ventured to that neck of the woods.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's not actually a D.C. 'burb. It's about 70 or so miles away in the Shenandoah Valley.

11. It's considered an ex-burb now. Lots of DC-ites are moving into the area, buying up cheap housing and biting the bullet on the 1 1/2 hour commute. Ain't much to do in Strasburg, but you've got Winchester about 20 mins away and Harrisonburg's about an hour.

12. Michael_Petre

Michael_Petre Member

An update for everyone: A week into the search, I have 40 resumes on my desk.

I want more. Many more.

And I hope to begin preliminary interviews later this week, so hustle.

Draft saved Draft deleted