1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Sidney Herald, MT

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by tjbball54, Jan 17, 2008.

1. tjbball54

tjbball54 New Member

This is a small town of about 5,000 people and not much around here, but the cost of living seems cheap and the staff seems to be really nice. I was actually debating on taking it myself, but I was offered another job. Might not be a bad start for somebody looking to get some experience and move on.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=694404

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Sidney's a hellhole, not a Butte-level hellhole, mind you, but a hellhole nonetheless.

The staff used to have some pretty good folks on it, and IIRC, you're right on the Empire Builder train line and you catch it to the big city (Spokane, Wash.)

I could be wrong about the train though.

3. tjbball54

tjbball54 New Member

I never got a chance to go out there, so I can't say much about the town...

4. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

I think the closest place to catch the Empire Builder is in Williston, N.D., about 45 minutes north.

My in-laws live in the Sidney area. It's not the picture most people have of Montana. While I would disagree with calling it a hellhole, it's a different kind of living.

Big, big energy boom in that area right now, and lots of jobs available at wages that will beat -- more than double, probably -- whatever the Herald is paying.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And will also dramatically drive up the cost of apartments.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dude, I lived in Whitefish and Missoula. It's a hellhole :D

7. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Yes, but if those two places are the baseline, the list of hellholes grows exponentially.

I could live in Sidney. I'd have to drink a hell of a lot more than I do already, but I could do it.

8. tjbball54

tjbball54 New Member

Big, big energy boom in that area right now, and lots of jobs available at wages that will beat -- more than double, probably -- whatever the Herald is paying.
    [/quote]

And will also dramatically drive up the cost of apartments.
    [/quote]

I was told that the apartments cost 300-400 per month and all utilities were included. Thats pretty cheap.

9. eroc

eroc New Member

I sent a cover letter, resume, and three clips a few weeks back. Still haven't heard back from them yet. Anyone else who applied for this job hear anything? It seems like they would be looking for a recent college grad, but who knows.

10. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

For being out in the middle of nowhere, there's cheaper.

Draft saved Draft deleted