1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Selma AL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Mar 29, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

journalismjobs.com states:

Immediate opening...

Serving one of the nation’s most historic cities, The Selma Times-Journal is actively seeking qualified candidates for an open sports writing position. Perfect for the recent college graduate, this position will provide the opportunity to sharpen your skills, gain valuable experience and work in an environment that only Alabama’s Queen City can provide. This full-time position offers a competitive salary and benefits and a chances for advancement within our newspaper and company with top performance. Qualified candidates will be those with strong writing skills and be familiar with Adobe Creative Suite and Macintosh computers. Please send cover letter, non-returnable resume and clips to Tim Reeves, editor, The Selma Times-Journal, tim.reeves@selmatimesjournal.com. No phone calls please.

2. STLwriter

STLwriter Member

Any idea what the responsibilities are? Preps? College? Both?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If I had to guess, it's mostly preps with a lot of local rec stuff thrown in. Selma has a hard time keeping anyone in this spot for more than a few months.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Slappy, it's not a great place to work. That's the reason for the constant turnover. Low pay also doesn't endear it to many.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No shit.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Shit no. Bad place, yes.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Serving one of the nation’s most historic cities ... "

That's a pretty bold opening line, considering the history of the place.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I suspect that when it comes to "environment," there's very little that only Selma, Alabama, can provide.

That does make me think it would be one of those places where the publisher is head of the Chamber of Commerce and they get to run lots of "business features." Or, for the sports department, team photos.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

CNHI paper, eh?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What else do they have to sell? It is truly a third-world shithole, with poverty that has to be seen to be believed. Whatever economy it once had is beyond ruined. And for whatever pittance they pay in salary, the "winner" will need to be very careful where they rent. There are pockets of crime to rival any urban ghetto you care to name.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dixie Hack pretty much got all of this one. Not more to add except it is an opening. There aren't many. Do your time and get out to hopefully something much better.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

... and work in an environment that only Alabama’s Queen City can provide.

Well, golly, I missed that part. Where do I sign?

Draft saved Draft deleted