1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Scranton, PA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Sep 4, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

from jj.com

http://thetimes-tribune.com

The Times-Tribune, a 55,000 daily newspaper in Scranton, Pa., has immediate openings for full-time news reporters and a sports reporter with a proven capability of covering a beat and producing consistent enterprise.

We are hiring three reporters and seek a crime reporter with database skills, a court reporter with exceptional research and storytelling skills and a sports writer who knows how to get the story beyond the boxscore.

The ideal candidates will be able to juggle daily coverage with enterprise. We’re looking for news reporters with practical knowledge of Right-to-Know laws who can work within those laws to uncover important information to advance news reporting, and a sports reporter who can produce on a tight deadline.

One to two years of daily experience is preferred, but we will consider entry-level reporters with journalism backgrounds and extensive internships. We’re also looking for reporters who understand the basics and importance of the Web in breaking news.

The newspaper, recently recognized as the “Best Overall Daily Newspaper in Pennsylvania” by the state chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, prides itself as a watchdog of the community and the leader in news and information in Northeastern Pennsylvania.

Send resume and work samples to Larry Holeva, Executive Editor, The Times-Tribune, 149 Penn Ave., Scranton, Pa. 18503 or e-mail lholeva@timesshamrock.com.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Because somebody else would...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_9OGnmBTow -- that's all I got.

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Yep. I was thinking it.

4. alexjmoretto

alexjmoretto New Member

I've been told by Larry this position has been filled. Good luck to whoever got the job.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm not surprised. This guy has a habit of posting job openings that have been filled.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

What's your problem? He posted the job here the same day it was listed on jj.com.

In fact, the ad is still there today.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Howaboutdat!

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

If you're referring to me, I post jobs here when I see them on jj.com....which is usually within an hour after they appear on jj.com. I'm just passing the postings along. How the heck am I supposed to know if a job has been filled when it shows up on jj.com?

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

You're not. Drip is just being an idiot, as usual.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Larry is a good editor and even better journalist.

11. alexjmoretto

alexjmoretto New Member

Let me clarify here... The job was open when the ad was posted. It has JUST been filled. There was nothing wrong with the ad or the time it was posted. They took applications and made the decision to fill the position quickly.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Your fixation with me is pathetic. You need to get a grip - quickly.
    In the past, there have been posts made about jobs at that paper that mysteriously were filled when others inquired about them. That's what I referenced to.
    As for the name calling Double J, look in the mirror before deciding to call anyone an idiot. I could easily retaliate and call you plenty of names but it would serve no purpose. If you have any questions about the post, PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted