1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- San Luis Obispo, CA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1278496

Company: The Tribune
    Position:
    Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    November 7, 2013
    Job ID: 1278496

Description:

Sports Reporter/ Writer
    The Tribune, a 35,000 circulation McClatchy newspaper on California’s beautiful Central Coast, has an opening for a full-time sports writer. We’re looking for a motivated go-getter with at least one or two years’ experience on a daily newspaper. Successful applicant will cover high school athletics, which are of keen interest to our readers. The position also requires at least one weekly desk shift that entails page design and copy editing. The job does require traveling to away games, which can include out-of-county destinations.
    If you relish the thought of living and working in an area rich with outdoor diversions and unbeatable weather and can offer us initiative and a can-do attitude, apply today. You could earn a chance to gain broad experience in the company of an excellent staff. We’re dedicated to doing things the right way, and you’ll benefit as a result. The Tribune offers competitive wages, a great benefits package including health, dental, vision, and 401K and a terrific working environment. To apply, send resume, cover letter and at least five clips to Human Resources, The Tribune, P.O. Box 112 San Luis Obispo, CA 93406. Email: hr@thetribunenews.com.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Great place to live, and close to Santa Maria so that every so often you drive down for a little BBQ tri-tip sandwich.

3. Provonian

Provonian New Member

I'd love to go for this job; half my family is in California, and it would be nice to get back to that state. But I've heard horror stories about "cost of living" in this area, and that makes me nervous with a traditional sports reporter's salary.

Can anyone from the area confirm or deny the difficulty of living around there on the (likely) minimum salary?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I can't say for this paper specifically. But a few years ago I interviewed for a job in California that paid about $10k more than I was making elsewhere. But when I calculated cost of living, I still came up short. So, yeah, California companies HAVE to pay more than those in other places. Is it enough more? Tough call.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Absolutely beautiful area. Nice town. I sometimes feel with cost of living, you get what you pay for. This might fall into that category.

6. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I looked up the cost of living in the area and it's about the same as up here in Washington. So I would assume I'm not going to see a pay increase from where I'm at now. But then again, I haven't heard from anyone if I'm in the running or not.

7. Provonian

Provonian New Member

My sources tell me a target-hire has been acquired. I don't know anything more than that.

Has anyone at least received word on interviews about this job?

8. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I never got an email, call or interview. Guess they didnt like me.

9. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Target-hire? Sounds like they had someone in mind, then merely went through the motions of posting the job.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So, Target is hiring?

11. Provonian

Provonian New Member

That was kind of the impression I got. Not sure the guy, or even how it went down (maybe it was the first interview they did, and staff was blown away; I dunno much). But it seems they got set with this one pretty quick.

At the rate I'm going, I may be applying to Target pretty soon. Some kind of paycheck would be nice ... and maybe I can even start a BLOG on the side!

Draft saved Draft deleted