1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Salem (Ore.) Statesman Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by luckyducky, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Two hours from Mount Hood for the skier/snowboarder enthusiast

2. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Must have a valid Oregon driver's license? Is that normal?

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Pretty much. Everyone needs an Oregon driver's license to do anything now.

Actually, they probably mean you need to get a license once you move to Oregon, which is stupid because you're going to have to get a new license at some point after you move there anyway. I guess it's to weed out the rare breed of journalist that can't drive.

4. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

The black guy in Oregon.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Gannett would want you to talk to him for every other story.

6. Lord_Gordon

Lord_Gordon New Member

Gannett jokes aside, does anyone have a guess at what the main duties of this job will be besides preps and general assignment? The ad is very vague. To reiterate what someone said earlier, what are the chances of actually getting to cover Oregon and Oregon St. in any capacity?

7. Just based on the ad and the little I know of that region's market, my guess would be that if they wanted an Oregon or Oregon State writer, they would advertise for that.

8. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

I wouldn't get too excited about covering the Ducks and Beavs. They rarely cover either ... you're covering preps, preps and a the occasional preps.

9. Al_Czervik

Al_Czervik Member

The Statesman did send a reporter to Omaha for the College World Series.

Any news on this job?

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

For the record, what Isaiah Rider once said about blacks being lynched 40 miles from Portland is NOT true.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Horowitz is one of their main UO/OSU guys. A few years ago, he'd split football season between the two schools. Not sure what happens now, guessing it's not much different though.

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

I wouldn't apply for this job based on the description. I makes me feel like a third-grader.

Draft saved Draft deleted