1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Quincy, IL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1541855

Company: Quincy Herald-Whig
    Position:
    Sports Reporter Wanted
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    December 12, 2013
    Job ID: 1541855

Description:

The Quincy (Ill.) Herald-Whig, a seven-day newspaper, is seeking a sports reporter for our award-winning staff. The Herald-Whig was named the top sports section in its class in the 2012 Illinois Press Association editorial contest and received honorable mention in the 2013 IPA contest. The sports staff has won more than 40 awards in the past decade.

We’re looking for people with strong writing and reporting skills who can tell stories on all platforms, including video and social media. Experience designing pages also is required, and knowledge of InDesign is a plus. The sports staff covers five colleges and 27 high schools as well as regional sports on the professional level. The ability to cover a beat, deliver news and tell human interest stories is a must.

Quincy is a community of 40,000 on the banks of the Mississippi River in West-Central Illinois. We cover communities in West-Central Illinois and Northeast Missouri. We’re a two-hour drive from Peoria and Springfield in Illinois, St. Louis and Columbia in Missouri, and Iowa City, Iowa.

The newspaper is family owned, offers a 401(k), a health savings account and health, dental, life and disability insurance. The Herald-Whig is an equal opportunity employer.

To apply, send a resume and samples of your work to Sports Editor Matt Schuckman at mschuckman@whig.com or via mail at 130 S. Fifth St., Quincy, IL 62301. You may learn more about The Herald-Whig at www.whig.com and about Quincy Newspapers Inc., our parent company, at www.careersatQuincy.com.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Does the paper only endorse candidates from the Whig party?

3. Mizzouman51

Mizzouman51 New Member

Paper goes a great job with local coverage. It's a good shop, especially for someone young and looking to get great clips.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

There is a high school student somewhere in the coverage area with my name.
    If I pop my name into the google machine, the only entries that come up are my clips and stories about him.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Almost took my first job out of college in Quincy and the TV station there (my hometown station offered me a job, so I took that instead).
    That was nearly 15 years ago, but it was a nice little town with a cool jazz festival in July.
    They have a college summer league and it's right on the river...so there is some nice natural beauty. But again, it's been 15 years, so I can't say how it has been there recently.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's still a surprisingly nice small town, and the sports department there takes their work seriously and works professionally. It's really not a bad first or second stop in a career.

Draft saved Draft deleted