1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter position in Colorado...great for first year college graduates

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by longjumper42, Dec 13, 2006.

1. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

I am not sure if it will get posted on JJ.com.. but there is an opening at the Craig Daily Press a 4,000 circulation 6 days/week.
    The job provides the opportunity to write and shoot (on occassion), Just hired a new editor who was a former SE and GM. Young staff and great benefits (health/dental/vision/ski pass/401K/PTO/Paid Holiday's), coverage of one area high school in Northwest Colorado.
    Craig is located 42 miles west of Steamboat Springs and the Daily Press is owned by World LLC. a division of the World Company, based in Lawrence, Kansas.

Send Inquires to

jraehal@craigdailypress.com
    or
    editor@craigdailypress.com

2. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

This is where I started out of college 15 years ago. The high school then was pretty competitive in a lot of sports. I assume it's still mostly preps and mostly a one-person job, doing all the writing, editing, layout, etc. You can get a lot of experience quickly -- and at this time of year, you can freeze your ass off, too. Seriously, there were days there where it didn't get above 0 degrees -- sometimes 15 or 20 below. It's close to Steamboat, but it's a lot colder than Steamboat, as it sits in pretty much wide open space for blisteringly cold winds to blow through.

But it's a good first stop, and at least back when I was there, the people at the paper and in the town were great. The biggest issue, particularly if you're pining for a big-city getaway, is that it takes 4 hours to get to Denver -- if the roads are good (mostly on two-lane highways). Rabbit Ears Pass can be a ballbuster in snow, if it's even open.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

And the word "great" absorbs yet another body blow.

Draft saved Draft deleted