1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Pine Bluff (Ark.) Commercial

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Robert_Turbeville, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Robert_Turbeville

Robert_Turbeville New Member

The Pine Bluff Commercial, an award-winning daily newspaper with 131 years of experience covering Southeast Arkansas, is seeking an energetic sports reporter with solid writing, editing and page design skills to join our staff. We emphasize coverage of the University of Arkansas, the University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 14 area high schools, Oaklawn Park Race Track and recreational sports. The right candidate should have a passion for sports, the ability to accurately produce on deadline and a familiarity with AP style. A bachelor’s degree in journalism is preferred but not required. Southeast Arkansas is an area known for its exceptional athletes and recreational activities, including world-class bass fishing and duck hunting. Send resumes, along with writing and design samples, to Robert Turbeville at rturbeville@pbcommercial.com.

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Anyone know how much Razorback coverage they really do? It looks like mainly UAPB and UAM from the looks of the website.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I suspect the right candidate might join the Stephens Media gameday coverage team, that includes writers and photogs from several of the company's papers in the state.

4. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

The Razorbacks play in Little Rock twice a year in football and once a year in basketball, which is about an hour or so away from Pine Bluff, might be some chances for that. I can't imagine a person would get any more opportunities than that.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

You would be correct. Insofar as hoops, George Ivory is a good guy. Mike Newell is a hoot.

6. SteveMcQueen

SteveMcQueen New Member

Anyone heard what the word is on this one?

7. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

pay will be a hurdle for many on this job. Gotta really want that first byline from covering a D1 college sport to make this jump

8. SteveMcQueen

SteveMcQueen New Member

I guess what I meant to say has anyone heard if they've gotten any further on the search? I was informed they were making moves at the end of last week.

9. TMagelssen

TMagelssen New Member

I accepted the job after visiting the area Monday afternoon. I start work the first week of July. This will be my first job after graduating from Texas Tech last month.

10. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Good luck to you man. Very nice gig to land right out of school.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Congrats and best of luck.

If you have time, be sure to check out the Martha Mitchell Museum. That is if you have any interest in Watergate.

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Congrats and welcome to the Natural State!

Draft saved Draft deleted