1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter/photographer (Willmar, Minn.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, May 16, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've had a few interactions with the editor, Kelly Boldan, but not the SE, during my stint with a twice-weekly in the same chain in Minnesota. Kelly seemed decent enough. Nice area, but don't expect to cover anything in the Twin Cities besides state tournaments

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1253660

Company: West Central Tribune
    Position: Seeking sports reporter/photographer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable

Description:
    The West Central Tribune of Willmar, Minn., is looking for an energetic and dedicated full-time sports writer with a passion for covering prep and community sports. Position responsibilities include receiving and writing game reports; interviewing, reporting and writing feature and enterprise stories; and photography. Experience in copy editing, page design, Quark Xpress and meeting deadlines are preferred. The position also includes Web posting, digital media responsibilities plus some reporting and weekly layout for year-round Outdoors section. The position hours include weeknights and some weekend coverage. Daily or weekly newspaper experience and college degree preferred. Salary is based on experience and benefits include paid vacation, health and dental and 401(k). The West Central Tribune is a 15,000-circulation six-day morning newspaper based in west central Minnesota, 90 miles west of Minneapolis. The Tribune is part of the Forum Communications Co., which owns 32 newspapers in the Minnesota and the upper Midwest. To find out more, visit www.wctrib.com, mobile.wctrib.com and www.forumcomm.com. To apply, send a cover letter, resume, references and five writing and design samples by replying here via journalismjobs.com or directly to: Sports Editor Scott Thoma at: sthoma@wctrib.com.

2. jeffshelman

jeffshelman New Member

My hometown paper. I delivered it for years. Worked in the sports department one summer.

Scott Thoma is a nice guy. Haven't spoken with him for years.

Town is better than it was when I grew up. There are at least a few decent chain restaurants there now. And a Target.

It's an hour to St. Cloud and two to Minneapolis.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There's a Northwoods League summer wood-bat baseball team there now too.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Town ball is big in the state. I don't know how big in Willmar, but I covered some games up near Detroit Lakes.

5. dm19

dm19 Member

Decent preps scene as far as basketball and football are concerned. Hockey isn't that great in this part of the state for some reason. I'm sure covering the Willmar Stingers Northwoods team wouldn't be too bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted