1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter -- Pensacola (Fla.) News Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jmb51879, Jun 28, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I am pretty sure what happened here was exactly what they planned. I am not angry that I didn't get hired but rather that Pensacola/Gannett decided to have a sham hiring process.

I'd love to hear Bob be honest and say it as an apology for the 100 or so people who spent 20 minutes or so submitting application material for the job.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dude, he doesn't owe you anything. He came on and wrote what happened, hence the sentence "When Brady showed interest, that became a priority." He went through the process, someone he wanted to hire applied and he hired him because he'd worked with him before and knew what he was capable of.
    Get over it. It's not going to be the first time or the last. One day, you might be that guy who stops the process. Are you going to demand that employer be just as forthcoming to whomever applied?
    Jeebus, you are an entitled little bastage, aren't you? Apology... wow.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

dx, shit happens. Years ago, I was told I was the No. 1 candidate for a pretty decent gig -- foolishly, I got my hopes up for it. So they open up the process, and the EE overrules the SE (who is a straight shooter and bent over backward for me in other circumstances, so I'll take his word) and I don't get the gig.

Was I pissed? You're damn right I was. (And I stupidly held a grudge about it that nuked some other career opportunities, but that's another story.)

Anyway, my point is: Life doesn't always go as planned. And ripping an SE on a message board is probably not a smart career move.

One other thing to consider here: Bob filled it ASAP, possibly before Gannett beancounters could get their hands on the money and kill the slot. He had a good candidate, too, but that's always a plus.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Alphabetical clusterfuck: You don't know what you're talking about. I know both papers and both people, and the only correct response here is to congratulate both.

It's never too late to stop embarrassing yourself.

5. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

It doesn't matter if it is a "sham hiring process" or not. It's a business. You hire the person you think is best for that particular business. Getting a qualified candidate into the slot sooner rather than later only helps that business.

No one owes an apology. The SE did what he thought was best for his sports department.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The SE's job is to hire the best person available. He doesn't have to cater to an intern who obviously didn't wow the SE.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And was that 20 whole minutes or four five-minute segments? A 10 and two fives, perhaps?

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Boom should write an Official SportsJournalists.com Statement of Apology to the chap.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If schiezainc or Rhody31 applied for this, they'd get their break time in.

10. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I'm not saying he has anything to apologize for here for hiring the guy he did. All I'm saying is it would be nice for him to say something to this effect: "We're sorry for wasting everyone's time concerning this position. We were just posting it to look like we're interested in receiving external (as in outside Gannett) candidates, but we planned on hiring Brady before this position even opened." Not too difficult in terms of transparency, no?

I guess this is just a useful lesson for people who are applying to Gannett jobs and for a job under Bob (unless you know him).

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Methinks this will get quite ugly.

Draft saved Draft deleted