1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter/page designer Junction City, Kansas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportsnut, Sep 3, 2012.

1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Company: The Daily Union
    Position:
    Sports reporter/page designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    October 2, 2012
    Job ID: 1422535

Description:

Sports reporter/creative page designer - The Daily Union in Junction City, Kan., is seeking a full-time editorial staff member who has a variety of skills to offer. Responsibilities will include covering sports at local high schools, youth athletics, feature writing, photography and designing both sports and news pages. We publish three days a week and our focus is local sports and news, but we also utilize AP copy and photos for our college and professional level sports coverage and state, national and international news.

The ideal candidate will have strong sports writing, photography, excellent page design skills using InDesign and be a self starter. We also engage readers across a variety of platforms and this position requires the candidate to write for the newspaper and website as well as utilize social media to promote The Daily Union. This position requires evening work most nights and some weekend work when there are games to cover.

This is a great opportunity for a journalist looking to work for a strong community newspaper and learn from experienced editors who have been sports reporters and sports editors before. College degree in print journalism or related field preferred. Junction City is a community made up of 23,000 residents and is at the door of Fort Riley in Kansas’ north-central Flint Hills. The Daily Union offers a competitive compensation package including medical/dental insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation and 401(k).

Please email resume and three writing samples to managing editor Lisa Seiser at m.editor@thedailyunion.net.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Seems to me this paper could get a discount on JournalismJobs.com with a perpetual ad, since it is open every couple of months.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

How does a paper publishing three times a week justify continuing to call itself the "Daily Union"?

4. writingump

writingump Member

What an embarrassing salary. For what they ask you to do, all you get is $20,000-$25,000? No wonder newspapers are dying and many "dailies" are publishing three times a week or less.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I barely make more than that and I've been at my paper since 1996. Back then, I started at $14,000 and I only got to $20K because I left for a year and my replacement was incompetent. That gave me quite a bit of barganing power when they asked me to come back. Later, I got a raise to $23K only to push my salary high enough so the company could avoid paying me overtime. I make more than that now but it's still tough and wages were frozen for over three years before we got a token increase last month.

And in this economy, $20K might just be good enough for a lot of people.

6. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

Considering what I made there as a news reporter, I can tell you it's more towards the $20K than the $25K. Would justify my move to Dodge City. E-mail me if you want considering I was there for a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted