1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter Opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by mgallagher, Jun 15, 2017.

1. mgallagher

mgallagher New Member

The Murray Ledger & Times in Murray, Kentucky is looking for a talented and versatile sports reporter. Candidates with a college degree in journalism and at least one year of reporting experience are preferred, but recent graduates are welcome to apply. The reporter will be responsible for covering Murray State University athletics with some prep coverage as well.

On the Murray State beat, responsibilities include coverage for, but not limited to, men’s and women’s basketball, football, baseball, softball and soccer. The prep coverage includes both Murray High School and Calloway County High School athletics.

Applicants should send a resume, cover letter and at least three writing samples to Publisher Mike Davis at mdavis@murrayledger.com or sports@murrayledger.com.

You can also mail a resume to PO Box 1040
    Attention: Mike Davis
    EOE: equal opportunity employer.

2. Edward Marlowe

Edward Marlowe New Member

I've held a position here before, and I can speak from experience that it's a great first-job to have. There's plenty of opportunity to grow as a writer and cover competitive DI and HS athletics at a small-town daily.

I will be the first to admit that it can be challenging, as you'll be responsible for pagination, photography and social media updates -- which can be both a plus and a minus. The hours are tough, but you'll come away with a strong portfolio if you so choose. And lots and lots of on-the-job training.

Draft saved Draft deleted