1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter | Northeast Iowa Publications (Independence, Iowa)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Feb 7, 2017.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

An award-winning northeast Iowa twice weekly is looking for a sports writer. A driven reporter who can deliver compelling stories on deadline on multiple platforms will be the best fit for this position. Writing, on-the-spot interviewing, photography and video skills are a must. Salary commensurate with experience. Send resumes to editorcft@gmail.com.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - SPORTS REPORTER

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

"Writing" and "on-the-spot interviewing"?
    No kidding.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Did you see what happened?

Yeah I did. He was over there by the bermaters...

Not sure about the papers, but I can vouch Independence and eastern Iowa's nice. You aren't far from Waterloo or Cedar Rapids.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Oh, I know.
    Grew up in Des Moines County.

5. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 Member

I would recommend staying away from this company. The person hiring for the position has no idea about sports ... as in that events take place at night and simple things like that. So you are expected to work 8 to 5 and then cover a game on a daily basis. If you don't, they look for ways to fire you and demean you. It's not a sports reporter friendly paper or company. Plus the position might be a bait and switch, as in it might not be for Independence, but for Vinton or somewhere else. Be VERY careful about this one.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As if not listing the company name or the contact having a gmail address didn't ring enough alarms.

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

8. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 Member

Not surprising, they are always hiring because no one really wants to stay. It's not a well ran company by any means. Plus the community isn't that found of the editor doing the hiring.

Draft saved Draft deleted