1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, North Andover, Mass.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

We're looking for a skilled reporter and fluid writer with an ability to develop and execute story ideas to join the team covering local and pro sports teams in print and online. Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field and minimum one to three years experience writing for a daily or weekly publication required. Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements, along with examples of materials demonstrating your skills and experience to hr@eagletribune.com

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Know this group well, PM or post if questions

3. MikeC518

MikeC518 New Member

I'm interested in any information you can give on this position. Thanks.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

This is one hell of a sports department. I used to work with them prior to my current shop.
    My guess is that they are replacing Alan, whose wife got a job out of state and dragged him with her. Great opp, but beware of management. This is no longer a family owned operation.

5. tdonegan

tdonegan Member

Only know the staff by reputation and by their work but it's a great section. As for the area it's nice. It's a college town (Merrimack college is there--really good hockey and a budding rugby club) but it hardly dominates the area.

You're close to Boston and very close to NH (sales tax free shopping, always a plus) and it's a short drive to the mountains and upstate Maine if you're the outdoorsy type.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Any idea of salary range?

7. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Any updates on this one?

8. DCguy

DCguy Member

On Friday, I was told they are still reviewing applications.

9. mizzouluke

mizzouluke New Member

Does anyone know if they still do any of their own coverage of pro teams in Boston? The former sports editor at the Globe told me they did at one point, but he wasn't sure if they had to cut that or not.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

They still cover Boston. Hector Longo on Patriots and Bill Burt on Red Sox and Pats. Alan Seigal, who is the guy that left for the D.C. area covered Celtics and filled in on Red Sox. The Bruins I believe are covered by a writer at one of their sister papers.

11. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

How big is this paper?

12. bob

bob Member

Last I checked it was around 50G, probably less these days. It's a good sports operation, covering a mixture of Boston pros on down. They make an effort to cover all the pro events, from what I've seen, but it's a good mix of pros/college/highschool. Among their alums are Rob Bradford, who went on to the Boston Herald, and John Thomase, who did the same.
    No clue about the pay, but I would guess $30-40G range. Or less. Or more.

Draft saved Draft deleted