1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, no experience necessary, Glasgow, KY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Aug 10, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

found this on monster.com

http://glasgowdailytimes.com/

Do you love sports? Do you have a way with words?

The Glasgow Daily Times is seeking a reporter in the sports department. The candidate should be self-motivated, able to multi-task and understand the IMPORTANCE of meeting deadlines. Responsibilities include covering sporting events and writing stories about those events. No journalism experience needed. Will train. For more

information, contact Scott Wilson at swilson@glas

gowdailytimes.com or at (270) 678-5171.

2. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

Just for full disclosure, this is a contract position --not full time. I contacted Mr. Wilson about the job, and he seems like a great guy, but I know this information would have been helpful up front.

3. Must be tiring to scrape the bottom of the barrel in Glasgow.

4. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

and in one corner of the Glasgow general store, a stock boy refilling the tampon aisle sees this as his big break.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Knowing nothing about Glasgow beyond what I just read in 30 seconds on Wikipedia -- and, honestly, having never heard about it before -- is it the type of place that can afford to be picky?
    It's obviously an entry level position at a small paper in rural Kentucky. Anyone who has ever seen the types of resumes a place like that would attract can understand why they're looking for anyone who can form a sentence. Hell, I work at an established paper with a fairly good reputation. The last time we had a sports writer opening several years ago, the vast majority of the applications made me cringe.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Everyone started out somewhere.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Seeing as it's a contract job, I'm guessing one might not be able to afford to be picky.

Scott Wilson is a good guy, at least as far as I can tell from my limited dealings with him. And Glasgow is a nice little town, about 20 minutes from Bowling Green and another 45 or so minutes from Nashville.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Paging Doodah.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you can't get to Tahoe in 20 minutes.

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Impossible.

Draft saved Draft deleted