1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, News-Register, McMinnville, Ore.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Johnny Dangerously, Oct 10, 2010.

1. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

So interesting, everyone loved this ad. To me, it was kind of a study in contrasts with the recent southern Oregon ad.

More and more, McMinnville is a suburb (exurb), not a small town. I don't know if its possible to gentrify an area that's still significantly invested in (albeit effete) agriculture, but if so, McMinnville/Dundee/etc. are accomplishing that task. This truth is referenced with the Ford/Jaguar line. This dichotomy poses more of a concern on the news side than on the sports side, though.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

PNW guys are very likeable.

OTOH, the last guy they hired :D - to fill the opening they had several months ago - was from out-of-state. Or so I heard.

3. thebigd

thebigd Member

well i applied once there and supposedly lost out to a guy with Pacific Northwest ties. We never really know, do we?

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Depends on how people define ties. The following, all of whom originated from Louisiana (and one from Texas), are now in the Pacific Northwest: a niece in Portland, two nephews in Seattle, close friends in Newberg and another nephew planning to build a home in Oregon. Also, two sisters and an uncle in California.

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Glad to hear you're doing well in Oregon, Johnny. Please stay in touch.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Seems like all the classiest posts on this site have some connection to JD.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I don't know JD and have never met him, but he seems like the kind of guy I'd like to work for.

I have met several people at the paper in McMinnville, and can't say a bad thing about any of them. And last I looked at their website, the majority of them are still on the roster.

8. Johnny Dangerously

The people at the News-Register are wonderful. They care, and they have your back. This is true at the highest levels. It isn't just lip service when they say it's like a family.

I'd write more about that (and probably will one day soon), but things are pretty busy this week. The reporter took a couple of vacation days, so there's much to do with work and this search.

If you've sent in your stuff and haven't heard anything, don't fret. Just a very busy time. Please be patient.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

When I first saw this thread, my thought was "Oh no, JD moved across the country only to find the job sucked." Then I saw the long write-up and assumed it was a lengthy rant.
    Suffice to say, glad that wasn't the case. ;D

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

JD is now flying with his own wings.

11. Johnny Dangerously

No one can say the place is devoid of wit. This sign is in a frosted-glass window above eye level in the newsroom men's room, facing inward.

[​IMG]

12. Johnny Dangerously

If we've exchanged emails or talked on the phone, please be patient. I am slowly (but as fast as possible) working my way through replies and follow-ups.

If you sent stuff and haven't heard anything from me, please try again. Mailbox was overloaded one day, and nothing got through.

Thanks for your patience. If you've applied and asked questions, you will hear from me and receive answers to your questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted