1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Natchez Democrat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by The Rules of Golf, Nov 11, 2006.

1. mattyb

mattyb Guest

They haven't kept a full staff in quite some time. I'm guessing it's been some time since you've worked there. Management is different now.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's been almost six years, now. Stacy Graning was the editor when I was there, then Kevin Cooper after she moved to Troy. I know Kevin is the associate publisher now and Julie is the ME. I don't know Julie.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Were you the guy before Adam Daigle? He was there for quite a while and did a hell of a job before moving on to Tulsa. Seems like he worked 70-hour weeks to do it, though. I admire the hell out of the guy. Since he left two or three years ago they've struggled to have any continuity. Guy comes in, six months later he's gone. Rinse, lather, repeat.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I was there before Daigle, but I didn't work exclusively in sports. I wrote the LA beat, was lead desk and did sports, too.

Nick Weber was the sports editor while I was there.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

If Daigle was working the career ladder, he certainly deserved a move to (the World?) in Tulsa.
    I traded stories with him when his teams were in our area, and he'd do likewise as we saved money and still got coverage.
    Worked many state track meets with him in Jackson area. Really good guy.
    Natchez is like other river papers (Vicksburg, Greenville) where they try to extend that coverage over into the next state, but have too little of a staff to do it full-time.
    You have to convince those outlying schools to call in their results, but that's not always easy.
    Whoever takes this job needs to be prepared to work their ass off, make connections in the community, and mentor a self-concocted stringer staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted