1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Mitchell S.D.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Dec 26, 2011.

1. doodah

doodah Guest

I would think that's just a courteous thing to do.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

How many apps do you think jobs get? Responding to one is courteous. Responding to 100, unrealistic.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sports Editors at small papers generally work more than 40 hours a week, with no overtime. For them to take time away from their scant personal time to critique several dozen applicants who didn't get the job is unreasonable.

Look at threads in the journalism topics board to get an idea on how the biz works. There is a ton of good info for those who don't know much about the business.

4. doodah

doodah Guest

If it's someplace like South Dakota where they'll only get 10 or so applications, I think it's reasonable.

5. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 Member

Hey Doodah, if you think there are only 10 applications or so for this job, that might be why you aren't getting calls or e-mails back from other resumes ... just saying.

6. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

I don't expect a critique of my work, that's unrealistic. Although if there is an editor I've been in contact with for a job on a regular basis, I will ask for advice if I feel comfortable.

All that being said, I am disheartened when an editor doesn't at least send me "Hey, we got your steaming pile of dog crap. We'll be in touch" and "Your steaming pile of dog crap wasn't good enough for our position." That's why I like Tim Stephens down in Florida. I've applied to him a bunch of times for jobs I am woefully underqualified for and he always takes time out to email me in the beginning and the end. When I left my last job, I stayed on for a few weeks and helped the other guy sort through resumes. We probably got 60 applicants but we took time to respond to each of them. It's not overly difficult to have something ready for copy and paste saying they got your stuff.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Stitch's posts on this thread are spot-on. And realistic.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I got mine in TV/VCR repair.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Bags, you still have a VCR???

10. doodah

doodah Guest

How many applications do you think a place like this gets?

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It was the 90s, man. Everyone had a VCR back then. That's why I had to join the Army. VCRs went bye-bye.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I dunno...how many journalists are unemployed?

Draft saved Draft deleted