1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Minot (N.D.) Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DAllar, Jan 23, 2013.

1. If a paper can't hire based on message board posts, that's the problem of the paper. Deal with it. No one is bashing the paper or anyone working there, unless it's for asinine comments made here.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

If a paper has trouble making a hire because of some message board posts, that would certainly be a red flag to me.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm not knocking the job or the people. I'm just wondering if there are more headaches that come along with it than at some other similar jobs.

4. peacer84

peacer84 Member

This board holds weight among young reporters. To pretend it doesn't would be naive.

Many young reporters are looking for work and they use this board to gauge opinions on a workplace. I'm sorry someone pays 1,000 a month to live in a trailer in Minot. But that is not the case for many people in Minot or any reporters at the Minot Daily News.

If you'd like to continue to talk about the deep economic problems facing Minot or western ND, we can start a post in the regular forum where it would be more relevant. A reporter looking for work in Minot won't have to live in a trailer. They'll see to that.

Sure, you have to share an apartment, which is an inconvenience. Food costs a little bit more than average. But after finding a place to live, you'll realize it's about as normal as anywhere else.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Peace, I don't need your permission to do shit on this board, thank you. I've posted facts about the city, and if you don't like them, ah well. That doesn't change them.

What percentage of "young reporters" are even aware of this board? That's a silly statement. And, if someone were to not apply because of something that was posted on an anonymous message board, that saves Daniel from looking at the resume of a moron.

Also, I never said I paid $1,000 to live in a trailer. As I said, my housing is covered by my employer. Somehow that fact went right by you, but reality doesn't seem to be on your radar.

I haven't issued a single comment about the paper, but this position, as has been said, is a great starting point. People move onward from Minot, whether it's the newspaper or the TV stations.

Given the housing that has been secured, it looks like only single 20-something guys who want to share a place need apply. That would eliminate more would-be applicants than anything.

Again, good luck.

6. peacer84

peacer84 Member

There's no reason to start cursing. Just having a conversation.

For those in sports journalism, especially starting out, this board is relevant. I'm sorry you feel that young reporters looking at this board is "silly." And I'm not sure why you're getting defensive about this. I never said you could or could not post, simply made a suggestion where it would be more relevant to talk about problems Minot is facing with flooded residents.

It's simply a discussion.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The area you'll be living in is irrelevant on a job posting? Odd stance, imo.

Reminds me of the time I had a phone interview with a paper in Libby, Montana. I had spammed my resume all over the northwest and that was one of the bites, and on the first phone call he offered me the job. That sounded a bit odd, and I told him I'd need a little time to consider. Toward the end of the conversation, he threw in "if you rent an apartment, make sure it's been checked out by the EPA." Oh, *that* Libby, Montana. I declined the job offer.

8. peacer84

peacer84 Member

I didn't say that. Delving into the economic problems facing Minot can be taken to another board. Everything has been addressed, I'd say.

9. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

The sports teams in the area are also really good. The Bishop Ryan girls will win a state title this year, Minot High's boys team is competitive, the Class B boys basketball champion will likely be an area team and Minot State is slowly becoming a force in the NSIC.

10. peacer84

peacer84 Member

Yeah, the major sports are becoming more relevant in Minot, which is a good sign. Minot High is one of the biggest high schools in the state and in 3 years will unquestionably be the biggest (Bismarck and West Fargo are adding new high schools). They really should add another high school, and I think something is in the works about it, but I'm not sure where that sits.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Peace, you need to gain some reading comprehension. You clearly do not have a grasp for it.

No, you're not conversing. You're attacking me for stating facts while trying to put words into my mouth. And you're not coming out looking smart.

Gee, wonder why I might feel defensive.

Oh, and if you think *that's* cursing, you haven't been a sports journalist for as long as I have. :)

I wish you well as you maneuver your way toward adulthood.

And ND, good luck in your next job. You haven't said where you're going but I trust you're ready for it. Congrats. As microguy mentioned, the Barley Pop will be waiting when you return!

12. peacer84

peacer84 Member

I already have a job that's actually relevant to this board. I'm not sure why you're attacking me, though. I haven't said anything personal about you.

I'm the one acting not acting like an adult? You're flinging personal insults. You may use curse words in your every day life, but I don't think we need to resort to swearing on here to get our message across. We are all adults.

I'll let KJIM have the last word on this. I realize I probably overreacted to the discussion of housing, and we've already bogged this thread down enough.

Point simply: It is not as grim as some may paint it. If you have housing lined up, you will be fine. It won't really be much different. In this case, housing is lined up, so all is well. Good luck to applicants. I hear they've got a decent pool already.

Draft saved Draft deleted